Choice paralysis and how to deal with it.

Will you give yourself to this program....?
KShea

Re: Choice paralysis and how to deal with it.

Post by KShea »

BlackPyjamas wrote:
I wonder what the underlying philosophy is with the 7 breaths, and also if there's any other literature or techniques out there that parallel this in some way.
Whether there is or isn't, it's a guideline for people who struggle to make decisions. A hard rule. Something to keep them on point. I know I need these at at times myself. So whether there is anything backing it or not is inconsequential to the point: Choose and own it. I love it.

Having said that, it is interesting as hell and I'm with you that I want to read more about it. :lol:

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

I'm not too sure myself. I don't think it is to make a hasty, half-cocked decision - but rather to be confident enough in yourself and your capabilities that you know what you can do. Once you make that decision, you own it and don't waver.

BlackPyjamas

Post by BlackPyjamas »

KShea wrote:
BlackPyjamas wrote:
I wonder what the underlying philosophy is with the 7 breaths, and also if there's any other literature or techniques out there that parallel this in some way.
Whether there is or isn't, it's a guideline for people who struggle to make decisions. A hard rule. Something to keep them on point. I know I need these at at times myself. So whether there is anything backing it or not is inconsequential to the point: Choose and own it. I love it.

Having said that, it is interesting as hell and I'm with you that I want to read more about it. :lol:
Yeah I get it's a guideline from one particular source. I don't agree it's a hard rule unless you decide to believe the source material is The One True Word. That's why I'm curious about other sources. I find certain philosophies or techniques that stand the test of time are usually found in more than one place or culture, sometimes even universal. Interesting stuff for sure, but who knows maybe other warrior ideologies do things a little differently. Either way fascinating discussion, and I hope others chime in with some more material along these lines.

KShea

Post by KShea »

BlackPyjamas wrote:
I don't agree it's a hard rule unless you decide to believe the source material is The One True Word.
No doubt. I meant hard rule for a person who looks for that kind of thing and follows it until they see another rule they like better. But it's structure.

This is whole topic is interesting.

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

grouchyjarhead wrote:"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt
As a kid I was told about the guy who couldn't decide which toilet to use so he put a foot in each toilet and shit in his pants...now that I'm older I think I understand the joke.

BlackPyjamas

Post by BlackPyjamas »

Tym87 wrote:
grouchyjarhead wrote:"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt
As a kid I was told about the guy who couldn't decide which toilet to use so he put a foot in each toilet and shit in his pants...now that I'm older I think I understand the joke.
Lol

Svenjolly

Post by Svenjolly »

spemma wrote:i can't see the image for some reason...

you can do the ol' coin trick. flip a coin, heads = choice 1, tails = choice 2, and very often you will hope for a certain outcome while the coin is in the air. that's your true preference.

otherwise, it's helpful to realize that very often things aren't set in stone. so you can set yourself on a course of action and if it reveals itself to be not what you thought, then go on to another choice. i'm not in favor of being a quitter, but i think there are beneficial aspects of cutting your losses early.
Very clever. There's that slight sense of disappointment if the toss doesn't go the way you want. I've used this a couple times now....feeling a little bit like Two-Face!

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

Awesome thread. Glad I came across this. Shout out to Grouchy for some solid thoughts and inspiration.
Get after it!