Choice paralysis and how to deal with it.

Will you give yourself to this program....?
ectional

Choice paralysis and how to deal with it.

Post by ectional »

Refer to title. What's your take on dealing wit choice paralysis or maybe you have some interesting reads about the subject.

Barkadion

Re: Choice paralysis and how to deal with it.

Post by Barkadion »

"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Aelian

Post by Aelian »

Barkadion wrote:Image
Brilliant.

Geidi

Post by Geidi »

Aelian wrote:
Barkadion wrote:Image
Brilliant.
I guess these books are considered classics for a reason...can't think of a better way to put it.

Geidi

Post by Geidi »

ectional wrote:Refer to title. What's your take on dealing wit choice paralysis or maybe you have some interesting reads about the subject.
I guess it depends on the two choices and how they relate to your goals. I would put pen to paper and list out the pros and cons of each. Pick the one with the most "pros".

spemma

Post by spemma »

i can't see the image for some reason...

you can do the ol' coin trick. flip a coin, heads = choice 1, tails = choice 2, and very often you will hope for a certain outcome while the coin is in the air. that's your true preference.

otherwise, it's helpful to realize that very often things aren't set in stone. so you can set yourself on a course of action and if it reveals itself to be not what you thought, then go on to another choice. i'm not in favor of being a quitter, but i think there are beneficial aspects of cutting your losses early.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

"In the words of the ancients, one should make his decisions within the space of seven breaths. Lord Takandobu said, “If discrimination is long, it will spoil.” Lord Naoshige said, “When matters are done leisurely, seven out of ten will turn out badly. A warrior is a person who does things quickly.

When your mind is going hither and thither, discrimination will never be brought to a conclusion. With an intense, fresh and undelaying spirit, one will make his judgments within the space of seven breaths. It is a matter of being determined and having the spirit to break right through to the other side.” - Hagakure

I have taught both concepts to my kids. It is less important to worry about whether a decision is right or not, but rather to make one and own it. If you find you're still undecided, decide within seven breaths and never look back.

ectional

Post by ectional »

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

BlackPyjamas

Post by BlackPyjamas »

Fascinating thread gents. I'm picking up some real gems.

BlackPyjamas

Post by BlackPyjamas »

grouchyjarhead wrote:"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

"In the words of the ancients, one should make his decisions within the space of seven breaths. Lord Takandobu said, “If discrimination is long, it will spoil.” Lord Naoshige said, “When matters are done leisurely, seven out of ten will turn out badly. A warrior is a person who does things quickly.

When your mind is going hither and thither, discrimination will never be brought to a conclusion. With an intense, fresh and undelaying spirit, one will make his judgments within the space of seven breaths. It is a matter of being determined and having the spirit to break right through to the other side.” - Hagakure

I have taught both concepts to my kids. It is less important to worry about whether a decision is right or not, but rather to make one and own it. If you find you're still undecided, decide within seven breaths and never look back.
Love this. "When matters are done leisurely, seven out of ten will turn out badly." So true.

I wonder what the underlying philosophy is with the 7 breaths, and also if there's any other literature or techniques out there that parallel this in some way.