Weightlifters shoulder

The Lounge
PeterHealey

Weightlifters shoulder

Post by PeterHealey »

Has anyone dealt with weightlifters shoulder? I am self diagnosing myself with online articles. According to what I am reading on-line it appears that benching seams to be the culprit. Started TB last fall with great results up to March when my training went to shit due to work logistics, lack of discipline and sore shoulder. Floundered through the year with attempts to return to the consistency of earlier months. When I don't lift the shoulder feels better and when I lift I feel the shoulder/clavicle pain taken weeks off at a time and looking for ways to get back.

BlackPyjamas

Re: Weightlifters shoulder

Post by BlackPyjamas »

Hey PeterH, I had shoulder issues flair up last year for a couple months...don't know if it was brought on by benching or MMA, but I couldn't BP without sharp pain. I ended up swapping in the Overhead press for a while and dropping the BP completely. The nature of my injury allowed me to OP with little issue, it was just bench that hurt. After a few months I slowly started reintroducing bench with a very conservative max....Worked like a charm....built up a nice solid OP and didn't lose much BP strength over the long haul. Might be something to consider, if you can still OP that is.

PeterHealey

Post by PeterHealey »

Thanks BPJ, I'll give the change a shot and see what happens. Mine is not so much sharp pain in the lift but rather radiating pain/stiffness later in the day and for days afterwards.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

I’ve been dealing with shoulder issues number of times. Every injury is unique in a way and it could be difficult to self-address it without professional consult.

It seems that you might be getting into impingement universe that can suck a lot.

Just few things to consider that worked for me:

- self trigger point massage
- mobility drills
- paying attention to scapula movement
- taking care of rotator cuff
- switching to vertical push (landmine pressing is my favorite)
- parallel grip pull-ups
- parallel grip benching once you are recovered

Sometimes it is better to stop training. Sometimes it is better to change the movements and exercises. Hard to say..

What did saved me was good sport PT sessions and few supervised lifting sessions with a coach who works with injuries and who lifts himself.

But I keep running into similar issues from time to time anyway..

Good luck!!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

spemma

Post by spemma »

i thought i had weightlifters shoulder earlier this year from benching. i went to an orthopedic sports doctor and he said its somewhat rare to actually get weightlifters shoulder as it involves actual degradation of the bone (clavicle). he said it was likely a partially torn labrum. i went to a physical therapist that gave me shoulder workouts to do to strengthen rotator cuff muscles.

barkadion's advice is pretty much right on with what i learned from the doctor and phys therapist.

for me, i ended up switching to basebuilding and moving on to continued SE focus and didn't have any issues with those. i've recently started lifting again and i don't notice the problem anymore.

btw - anyone got any good shoulder health routines they follow? my shoulders kinda feel like garbage.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

spemma wrote:i thought i had weightlifters shoulder earlier this year from benching. i went to an orthopedic sports doctor and he said its somewhat rare to actually get weightlifters shoulder as it involves actual degradation of the bone (clavicle). he said it was likely a partially torn labrum. i went to a physical therapist that gave me shoulder workouts to do to strengthen rotator cuff muscles.

barkadion's advice is pretty much right on with what i learned from the doctor and phys therapist.

for me, i ended up switching to basebuilding and moving on to continued SE focus and didn't have any issues with those. i've recently started lifting again and i don't notice the problem anymore.

btw - anyone got any good shoulder health routines they follow? my shoulders kinda feel like garbage.
If you want simple, effective, and day-to-day drill..

https://youtu.be/Qt4RNqK35hc

spemma

Post by spemma »

thanks barkadion, good vid.

i forgot about this vid. i try to do the "ITWL" between sets on my MS days.

well....i should say i used to do them....i should start again....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKc6hwPvsHg

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

spemma wrote:thanks barkadion, good vid.

i forgot about this vid. i try to do the "ITWL" between sets on my MS days.

well....i should say i used to do them....i should start again....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKc6hwPvsHg
Consistency is the key when it comes to mobility and prehabs/rehabs work. You just have to make it your everyday thing like brushing your teeth.. imho

And when you get older... you might notice that your warm up is longer than your actual workout.. :D

PeterHealey

Post by PeterHealey »

Thanks all for excellent feedback and suggestions. Today I switched things up to o/head press and went light. Will work the Cressy shoulder drills into my routine and see where this all takes me.