Any past or present Rugby players here?

The Lounge
nickgoldma

Any past or present Rugby players here?

Post by nickgoldma »

Hey there, hope everyone is well. Anybody previously play Rugby or presently play? This fall I transferred to a local state school from community college and I joined the rugby club at the beginning of the semester. Damn, what an eye opener on the levels of conditioning (and strength) one must have to play. It is also a relatively confusing and tough sport to learn but it is a lot of fun when you start getting the hang of it. They currently having me play B-Side (think Jr. Varsity in a sense) as a prop and my coach is really pushing me to get into shape. He noted that I am certainly strong enough but I need to work on the conditioning. The game consists of a lot of stop and go, sprinting back and forth, and obviously one needs a high level of stamina and endurance to play a full 80 minute game. Hell, the B side games are typically 40 minutes usually and it is easy to get gassed with in the first five minutes. Anyways, we have most of the winter off and my plan is to condition, condition, condition while maintaining strength. I think I'm going to kick off a base building block to top off the engine and endurance I am lacking and just go from there. The HICs are definitely going to be sprinting base, too. Anyways, just looking to open a discussion for anyone who has some good tips and advice for those who are new to the sport or want to play more. Cheers.
Get after it!

DocOctagon

Re: Any past or present Rugby players here?

Post by DocOctagon »

nickgoldma wrote:Hey there, hope everyone is well. Anybody previously play Rugby or presently play? This fall I transferred to a local state school from community college and I joined the rugby club at the beginning of the semester. Damn, what an eye opener on the levels of conditioning (and strength) one must have to play. It is also a relatively confusing and tough sport to learn but it is a lot of fun when you start getting the hang of it. They currently having me play B-Side (think Jr. Varsity in a sense) as a prop and my coach is really pushing me to get into shape. He noted that I am certainly strong enough but I need to work on the conditioning. The game consists of a lot of stop and go, sprinting back and forth, and obviously one needs a high level of stamina and endurance to play a full 80 minute game. Hell, the B side games are typically 40 minutes usually and it is easy to get gassed with in the first five minutes. Anyways, we have most of the winter off and my plan is to condition, condition, condition while maintaining strength. I think I'm going to kick off a base building block to top off the engine and endurance I am lacking and just go from there. The HICs are definitely going to be sprinting base, too. Anyways, just looking to open a discussion for anyone who has some good tips and advice for those who are new to the sport or want to play more. Cheers.
You might have better luck over at the TB subreddit. I seem to recall quite a few posts from rugby players looking to put together templates...