Member Introductions Thread

The Lounge
Monster Smash

Re: Member Introductions Thread

Post by Monster Smash »

Hi all,

I'm 57. I go by Monster Smash here and on Reddit. I'm nice on the TB sub reddit. However, if you see me around on other sub reddits, I can sometimes get a little punchy. But, I'm a nice guy. I just have a low tolerance for some of the obstinance that goes on. The online world is truly a weird place. LOL As a side note: have you noticed that no one in real life acts the way they do online? It drives me insane. LOL

I have no military, LEO, or First Responder experience, other than a lot of my family come from military. :D

I found this place by way of Reddit, which seems to be the only marketing TB has. :lol:

I'm coming from a background of mostly powerlifting and powerbuilding. After years of let-downs and injuries, I decided at my age, to hang up powerlifting and try something completely different. I was actually looking for something somewhat minimal, but that packed a punch. A lot of the minimal stuff I found out there is literally doing almost nothing. That probably works for some people in certain situations, but I have the time. I want minimal time, but huge impact. And, what attracted me to TB was not the strength aspect, but all the other stuff. It seems like exactly what I need. But, also, the reviews on reddit of strength gains is impressive.

So, I'm a week and 1 day in, and I'm obsessed with the complete freedom and flexibility of this methodology. Can't wait to see where this goes.

Thanks for having me here.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Monster Smash wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:30 pm Hi all,

I'm 57. I go by Monster Smash here and on Reddit. I'm nice on the TB sub reddit. However, if you see me around on other sub reddits, I can sometimes get a little punchy. But, I'm a nice guy. I just have a low tolerance for some of the obstinance that goes on. The online world is truly a weird place. LOL As a side note: have you noticed that no one in real life acts the way they do online? It drives me insane. LOL

I have no military, LEO, or First Responder experience, other than a lot of my family come from military. :D

I found this place by way of Reddit, which seems to be the only marketing TB has. :lol:

I'm coming from a background of mostly powerlifting and powerbuilding. After years of let-downs and injuries, I decided at my age, to hang up powerlifting and try something completely different. I was actually looking for something somewhat minimal, but that packed a punch. A lot of the minimal stuff I found out there is literally doing almost nothing. That probably works for some people in certain situations, but I have the time. I want minimal time, but huge impact. And, what attracted me to TB was not the strength aspect, but all the other stuff. It seems like exactly what I need. But, also, the reviews on reddit of strength gains is impressive.

So, I'm a week and 1 day in, and I'm obsessed with the complete freedom and flexibility of this methodology. Can't wait to see where this goes.

Thanks for having me here.
Welcome and good luck with smashing it!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

MilitaryFighter10

Post by MilitaryFighter10 »

All,

25 year old Naval Officer. Grew up playing soccer, wrestling and boxing. Got into Judo and BJJ when I got to college and began competing internationally in Judo.

Found TB during college and used it as a supplement to my martial arts training, mainly as a strength supplement given the large amounts of conditioning we did throughout the week.

Now that I have graduated, currently looking to make TB my go to program template, and tailoring it so that I can meet the same fitness levels I had while competing in martial arts, while also meeting the requirements necessary to also transfer to the Marine Corps within the next year or so. I plan on getting back into Judo once my operational schedule allows and I am not gone quite as much.

Look forward to any and all insight that can be offered.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

MilitaryFighter10 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:28 am All,

25 year old Naval Officer. Grew up playing soccer, wrestling and boxing. Got into Judo and BJJ when I got to college and began competing internationally in Judo.

Found TB during college and used it as a supplement to my martial arts training, mainly as a strength supplement given the large amounts of conditioning we did throughout the week.

Now that I have graduated, currently looking to make TB my go to program template, and tailoring it so that I can meet the same fitness levels I had while competing in martial arts, while also meeting the requirements necessary to also transfer to the Marine Corps within the next year or so. I plan on getting back into Judo once my operational schedule allows and I am not gone quite as much.

Look forward to any and all insight that can be offered.
Welcome!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

gilly

Post by gilly »

Hi All

I’m Gilly and apologies for not posting about me before setting up an over 50’s thread. I’m 55 and have been training using the TB system for just over 3 years. It is the gift that keeps on giving. I wish I knew about this system when I first started training 38 years ago.
About me - a school principal, husband and father, and not in that order either!!! I have trained for 38 years, for sports, my mental health, physical fitness and dare I say it - vanity!! In particular my training keeps me fit for hunting, one of my passions. Anyway, enough about me but I hope I can add value to this forum by sharing my experiences and knowledge built up over a long time and plenty of trial and error.

road_warrior

Post by road_warrior »

Hey Everyone,

I am a 25 years old, not any experience in military or law enforcement, just a normal guy who enjoys training.

My first year of training was just me "fixing" myself and getting addicted to the gym routine, using just machines to build muscle, doing 6x10 pushing it as hard as I can. Literally, just throwing myself into it, not knowing what I was doing.

Then last year, I found Tactical Barbell and had a year focused on the process (getting hurt while pushing myself too hard) getting stronger and just building up a base that was not overly terrible.

This is my second year using tactical barbell programming. I was brought here via reddit as I searched for training program focused not on just strength or hypertrophy, but overall fitness. Love that the program is flexible and minimal time requirements vs say bodybuilding or power lifting.
I have gained strength, with me nearing 135 for 1 RPM for OHP, 225x5 for high bar backsquat, and 285 1RPM deadlift max, however now I realize I need to focus on improving my conditioning and weigh so going to Fighter-Bangkok/Black is the idea for this year.

Decided to join this community to de-redditfy my online consumption and get more into the core community.