Treating Yourself Like an Athlete

The Lounge
ICBM09

Treating Yourself Like an Athlete

Post by ICBM09 »

Coming from a powerlifting background where increasing strength and size was placed at a premium above all things, I rather like the mental shift from simply being a strong dude to being a multi-dimensional athlete. That frame of mind has been something that Tactical Barbell has really fostered in me and I find it helps motivate me in multiple areas of my life. Seeing myself as an athlete makes me work harder in the gym, it makes me take my nutrition more seriously, and it makes me treat the whole process with more reverence. I'm less likely to eat fast food multiple times a week, more likely to get some extra sleep, and more likely to try my hardest not to miss a training session.

There is a balance that must be struck, however, especially for those of us who are not tactical operators and are doing this recreationally. You have to remind yourself that you are indeed not training for the Olympics, you are not a Division 1 football player, and your fitness is not your career. I've found the "I'm an athlete" mindset to be beneficial to me, but only when it's not allowed to run rampant and make my life more miserable. One of the things I've learned the hard way is this: fitness is supposed to augment my life, otherwise what's the point?

So, I'm curious what others here think about the "I'm an athlete" mindset. Anyone here view themselves in such terms? Pros and cons to such an approach?

Stay strong everyone.

ectional

Re: Treating Yourself Like an Athlete

Post by ectional »

When I was on a powerlifting program I found myself making the same mistakes. Food was consumed without regard in chase of bigger lifting numbers. All I got was fat again with small strength increases.
I also don't want to call myself an athlete because I'm not one. I occasionally compete in some sports but it's not serious enough to be an athlete. In the end I'm just a dude who works out and eats well 80% of the time because otherwise I feel like crap.