Garmin Foretrex 401/601

The Lounge
Nerfd

Garmin Foretrex 401/601

Post by Nerfd »

Hi
I always see people from military, usely type of spec op people using 401 or 601.
Im wondering, i got a suunto watch with gps and everything. Use it to track my HR etc for E runs and so on, but my goal is when im done with Basebuilding and going into Fighter my E runs gonna be Runs/hiking.
I live in Norway with alot of mountains so that will be my use. Hike up and down and explore etc.

Can anyone who used one of the Fortrex tell me the benefits. When i look at reddit/youtube it doesnt tell me "WHY" i need it.

Im hoping it can show distance, pace, i can maybe plan the route ahead so i know rougly where to go and it can "show" me the way if i get off track. Is that possible? Thank you for replies :D
Who Dares Wins

close_fox

Re: Garmin Foretrex 401/601

Post by close_fox »

Foretrex does a bunch of MIL/etc. sounding stuff you won't need or use for fitness hiking. Some of those functions are discussed on the Garmin website. Don't read too much into pics of dudes carrying the Foretrex. It's not (I hope) the only navigation and related gear they are carrying.

Foretrex can load (and drop) waypoints and help you get to/from to those waypoints. It is also good for quickly pulling the coordinates of your current location. And it can do these things while keeping your hands free (mounted on your wrist or somewhere else). It's not like a vehicle navigation device with maps..."turn left onto trail X now," etc. Garmin and others make hiking specific GPS devices for that. One of those would be a good investment if you get serious about hiking.

Your Suunto watch probably has the functions you need. Equally important, you can wear the Suunto as a watch in the real world. I wish I could say I haven't seen guys wearing an issued Foretrex as a watch, but...sigh...:roll:
"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.

Nerfd

Re: Garmin Foretrex 401/601

Post by Nerfd »

Thanx for proper reply :D.
Who Dares Wins