Medic / first aid drills

The Lounge
Knollkopp

Medic / first aid drills

Post by Knollkopp »

Hi there,

I'm providing our units first aid training as our team medic.
Our members doing "basic stuff" like a first bodycheck / bloodsweep (cabcde...), handling of critical bleeding with tourniquets and bandages, treating chest injuries (chest seal) and providing BLS.
So I'm looking for ideas / drills to train those skills to keep training new / challenging without introducing to much new / fancy stuff.

Maybe you have some youtube videos, blogs, articles or your own ideas / experiences?

03rockeater

Re: Medic / first aid drills

Post by 03rockeater »

Are you military or LEO?

One of the BIGGEST things I see when it comes to first aid is officers/Marines/soldiers/sailors etc. NOT being super familiar with everything inside of the IFAK. As a matter of fact, I'm sort of guilty of this myself and will double check my stuff after posting this. So maybe not a training activity but something I'd talk about a few times until they get the point. Also, carrying a tourniquet in an area that is accessible by you with BOTH arms. I see a lot of officers carry one on their duty belt behind their firearm (for right handed shooters). Well, what happens when you get in a gun fight, get hit in your strong arm, and need to use your weak (non dominant) arm to apply as tourniquet.

Come to think of it, I've never had extensive practice putting on a tourniquet in the dark (as a Marine yes, as a LEO I haven't practiced this skill in a long time). Knowing your equipment by feel is important, so try to get some night training in if possible.

That's really all I have. Not a lot of good info but maybe some ideas to get you thinking. Good luck with the training.

Knollkopp

Post by Knollkopp »

I'm LEO /ERT.

Those are good points!
We're always training with training stuff inside the original IFAKs so everyone has to use them as realistic as possible.
Low light training is something we really have to do next time.

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

This is a great topic. Love the focus on basic MED techniques. Especially tourniquets.

Incorporate tourniquets into PT. Tourniquet relay races. Safely adds stress, time pressure, sweaty skin, etc.

Sprint 100-200m, apply tourniquet, instructor verifies correct application, next participant departs, repeat. For extra fun, end with litter carry for undetermined distance.

Trapped in a submarine? Can't train outside due to zombies? Use the "deck of cards" PT workout in lieu of sprinting. Turn card over, execute required exercise reps, apply tourniquet, etc.

Decrease light, one hand only, improvise tourniquet, apply tourniquet while being sprayed with fire hose. Chug one beer before applying tourniquet (kidding?). So much room for activities.

End every training session with review and several admin reps of correctly applying tourniquet. End on a positive note and ensure correct technique is the last thing reinforced.

Range + MED training is all the rage, and IMO this is because people think it's cool and training providers can charge $$$ for it. It requires extensive safety supervision and planning. At a minimum, quickly (and definitively) ensure weapons are on safe before MED portion begins. You have to slow things down, but at some point you risk creating training scars that outweigh the benefits. I once did this and they wanted us show clear, work on the dummy, admin reload, and move on. Fail. Huge training scar. You don't want to induce muscle memory of clearing weapons in the middle of a "real" event.

If you are going to do it, one way is to set up a SIMPLE timed course with various transitions (lanes). Include MED in one or two of the lanes. Walk everyone through the scenario (slowly) before the session starts. Empower everyone to immediately halt the session if they observe anything unsafe or "not right."

I personally don't like guns + MED if MED is supposed to be the focus. If guns is involved, guns must be the focus. Put it all together every once in a while to keep things in perspective. But the vast amount of time should be spent training the elements individually and extensively.
"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.