Packs for Rucking

The Lounge
WeekendWarrior

Packs for Rucking

Post by WeekendWarrior »

So I have wanted to start rucking on my own for about a year now, just never got around to doing the research for a pack or spending the money. This bag will also probably be used while canoeing and occasionally camping, but rucking will be the primary use. The two main ones I'm looking at now are the 5.11 Rush (24 or 72) or the Condor 3 day Assault, leaning more towards the 5.11. I also really like the GORUCK GR1 and Rucker but I don't want to spend that kind of money of a pack, so those are a no-go.
Looking forward to hearing from yall.

(Wasn't sure whether or not to post this here or General Training)

Green2Blue

Re: Packs for Rucking

Post by Green2Blue »

5.11 has a lot of hit or miss gear. I have one of their packs for daily carry. I've taken it on a number of hikes as well, including a 14er. It's one of the best purchases I've made. The thing is about as solid and quality built as you can find.

I can't speak specifically for rucking, and I don't think it's the Rush I have, but 5.11 makes great packs.

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

I don't have experience with 5.11 or Condor bags. There are lot of companies out there selling an image. Not saying their bags will explode upon first use, but for a cheap option I would trust an old issued pack from a mil surplus store a lot more.

You get what you pay for. The GoRuck Rucker is not much more expensive than the 5.11 bags you mentioned, and it's purpose built for fitness rucking. Get a hydration bladder (Source is a good brand). If rucking doesn't work out for you, you still have a nice backpack for daily use. Good resale market as well.

If your lifestyle warrants the investment (serious camping / hunting / other fun stuff outside), brands like Mystery Ranch and Kifaru make serious rucks that will probably outlive your interest in rucking.
"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

Some of the 5.11 gear is absolutely tiny for a ruck. Double check sizing. I might be biased but the Marine Corps woodland assault packs are amazing and have been phased out for coyote colored gear. If you find one second hand it will go through hell and back for you. I have one full of bricks with no damage to speak of

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

I've used a 5.11 Rush 72 pack for GoRucks and it worked well. The only thing it really sucked for was crab walks with the pack on front as the shoulder supports basically choke me unless I turn my head at a strange angle.

The Rucker is a bit more expensive but it's also a very good choice. I got to try one out and I think that's what I will be transitioning over to for fitness rucking.

WeekendWarrior

Post by WeekendWarrior »

I ended up choosing the Rush 72 and ordering from Amazon a few days ago. It arrived today with a 100oz bladder I also ordered, so I threw a couple towels in there and a 25 lb plate and went around the neighborhood for about an hour, at least until the mosquitoes came out in full force. It was more of a test than a real, planned ruck, but I like the bag so far. I wish the main straps could cinch up a little higher but its fine as long as I put most of the weight on top.