First Foot-Pursuit Post TB

The Lounge
Ten8

First Foot-Pursuit Post TB

Post by Ten8 »

Me and my partner, in between calls on patrol. Recognized a guy with an outstanding warrant standing around with his buddies in a pkg lot. He bolted as soon as they noticed the car. I was out the door and took him down within the first 100 yards. It hit me right after how perfect the carry-over Apex and Meat-Eater have for this kind of situation. I barely noticed my gear, and when I actually got my hands on him he went down easily and I had plenty of "gas in the tank" to go on had he put up a fight.

My last chase didn't end nearly as neatly, and it was a very good thing I had assistance, because by the end of it I was too fatigued to do much of anything if the worst case scenario had happened.

Barkadion

Re: First Foot-Pursuit Post TB

Post by Barkadion »

Awesome, mate! :)
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

Love hearing this. I'm just itching for a foot pursuit since starting TB. I guess my only relatable experience so far was kicking in a door my trainee was unable to get. Once inside we found out it was braced by a 2x4.

Rick Deckard

Post by Rick Deckard »

Green2Blue wrote:Love hearing this. I'm just itching for a foot pursuit since starting TB. I guess my only relatable experience so far was kicking in a door my trainee was unable to get. Once inside we found out it was braced by a 2x4.
Damn I hate that feeling when the door bounces in place.

Ten8

Post by Ten8 »

Green2Blue wrote:Love hearing this. I'm just itching for a foot pursuit since starting TB. I guess my only relatable experience so far was kicking in a door my trainee was unable to get. Once inside we found out it was braced by a 2x4.
Apex and Meat were just bang-on as far as transferring the skill over. Hard sprint followed by swinging around a heavy hunk of metal, hard to beat that kind of specificity. I'd recommend anyone on patrol (or a street unit) include one or the other in their cluster of HICs.

Ten8

Post by Ten8 »

Rick Deckard wrote:
Damn I hate that feeling when the door bounces in place.
Yep....instead of the beautiful sound of wood splintering.

NathanC77

Post by NathanC77 »

This thread makes me want to do Apex Hills and become a cop.

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

Ten8 wrote:Me and my partner, in between calls on patrol. Recognized a guy with an outstanding warrant standing around with his buddies in a pkg lot. He bolted as soon as they noticed the car. I was out the door and took him down within the first 100 yards. It hit me right after how perfect the carry-over Apex and Meat-Eater have for this kind of situation. I barely noticed my gear, and when I actually got my hands on him he went down easily and I had plenty of "gas in the tank" to go on had he put up a fight.

My last chase didn't end nearly as neatly, and it was a very good thing I had assistance, because by the end of it I was too fatigued to do much of anything if the worst case scenario had happened.
That is awesome. You really can't find a better tangible result that an example like this!

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

This is awesome and motivating for someone who wants to get into law enforcement. Stay safe, everyone!
Get after it!

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Pre-TB, I had a foot pursuit back when I was following a more powerlifting-style approach. Responding to a domestic with a gun, I see the actor and he starts running. I hop out and think no sweat, guy's clearly overweight and not getting far. Surprise says my legs, as I had done heavy squats that day and they were sore. Guy smokes me initially but popped out a few streets later sucking wind with snot running down his face. He's already cuffed by other officers when I come hobbling up :lol:

I knew then I needed to change, just wasn't sure how, and went a few years struggling to find a good mix.Then I found TB and I'm never looking back.