Military

The Lounge
Joesph155

Military

Post by Joesph155 »

I asked this question in RossTraining forum. They said I should train specifically for selection, so I came here. I am preparing for special operations selection(Army Rangers), I have 2 years to prepare, how would I use TB1&2 to prepare myself? Also, Stew Smith has an Army Ranger 10 week workout book, should I use that too? Thanks.

grouchyjarhead

Re: Military

Post by grouchyjarhead »

I would pick up both books and Stew Smith's program personally.

Start off with Base Building. Run Green protocol, Black protocol, then do Stew Smith's program.

BB with an strength-endurance emphasis first will give you a good foundation to start. Green will push your endurance up to a good level while allowing you to build some strength. Black will give you time to focus on max strength while still keeping your endurance at a high level. Then Stew's program will push your strength endurance and stamina even higher. You could even alternate Black/Green and Stew's program. Repeat and adjust fire as you get closer to your basic training dates.

K.B.
Site Admin

Post by K.B. »

Grouchy's got you covered. Use TB to build up your general levels of fitness (max-strength, aerobic endurance, SE etc.) and then switch over to a more specific program closer to your selection.

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Post by Train_Hard_Live_Easy »

K.B. wrote:Grouchy's got you covered. Use TB to build up your general levels of fitness (max-strength, aerobic endurance, SE etc.) and then switch over to a more specific program closer to your selection.
This!! Something I really appreciate reading in fitness professionals...... knowing the right 'tool' to meet the desired result....and having the professionalism to state where something is more attuned to achieving a set goal...even if it means pointing someone in another direction. Bravo Zulu, mate.

One of the things that really grips my sh*t is reading someone's particular stance on a piece of kit and saying how it fits everything.... you name it, on the fitness continuum, and this piece of kit will fit the bill.

For example: The Humble Kettlebell.....something we use an awful lot, after all we are a kettlebell gym.....but the amount of attributes attached to said piece of kit [Maximal Strength, Cardio of a monster etc etc]. It's ideal for Strength Endurance type work.... it can help with strength goals, up to a certain point....but Cardio..... nope, not ideal...no matter how many swings or snatches you can do....Goblet Squat... a great patterning exercise for sure, but to build strength.... unless you are a petite figure of a person, not sure how much stronger these can make you.

Sorry, went off on one......

As I said, KB, that was a class thing to say. I am very happy to be a part of this community.

Now where's the hoodies, Tees and Coffee mugs :lol: :lol:
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.
"What was hard to do, is sweet to remember" Seneca.

Joesph155

Post by Joesph155 »

Thanks for the replies, you guys are awesome. As far as running, rucking , fun runs, and hic's for black, how would I balance and pick sessions? Appreciate it.

K.B.
Site Admin

Post by K.B. »

Train_Hard_Live_Easy wrote: This!! Something I really appreciate reading in fitness professionals...... knowing the right 'tool' to meet the desired result....and having the professionalism to state where something is more attuned to achieving a set goal...even if it means pointing someone in another direction. Bravo Zulu, mate.

One of the things that really grips my sh*t is reading someone's particular stance on a piece of kit and saying how it fits everything.... you name it, on the fitness continuum, and this piece of kit will fit the bill.

For example: The Humble Kettlebell.....something we use an awful lot, after all we are a kettlebell gym.....but the amount of attributes attached to said piece of kit [Maximal Strength, Cardio of a monster etc etc]. It's ideal for Strength Endurance type work.... it can help with strength goals, up to a certain point....but Cardio..... nope, not ideal...no matter how many swings or snatches you can do....Goblet Squat... a great patterning exercise for sure, but to build strength.... unless you are a petite figure of a person, not sure how much stronger these can make you.
Agreed, this is a huge pet peeve of mine as well - and kettlebells are a perfect example. I'm a big believer in specificity as a phase in and of itself. I have no doubt experienced guys can prep for selection by customizing TB templates alone - but there's really no need to re-invent the wheel.
Train_Hard_Live_Easy wrote: Now where's the hoodies, Tees and Coffee mugs :lol: :lol:
Haha! They're coming...as soon as we get our re-branding sorted out!

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Joesph155 wrote:Thanks for the replies, you guys are awesome. As far as running, rucking , fun runs, and hic's for black, how would I balance and pick sessions? Appreciate it.
The conditioning book will give you guidance. Personally I would make rucks my long E sessions, keep my HICs to running-based ones, and have one fun run a week. Ranger School is all about endurance first and foremost from the Rangers I know so keep that as your main priority. Strength should definitely be your second priority though as they're not exactly walking around with tea cozies and crumpets all day.

Joesph155

Post by Joesph155 »

Thanks for your reply, I was thinking for base, I'll do a run, a fun run, and a ruck on Saturday, with a body weight SE cluster. I'd figured I'd start there and get back here when transitioning to green.

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

Joesph155 wrote:I asked this question in RossTraining forum. They said I should train specifically for selection, so I came here. I am preparing for special operations selection(Army Rangers), I have 2 years to prepare, how would I use TB1&2 to prepare myself? Also, Stew Smith has an Army Ranger 10 week workout book, should I use that too? Thanks.
I have used two of Stew's programs to prepare to prepare for training schools. The programs were very high volume. Both times, I grinded through the books and wound up overtrained. I'm not saying Stew's approach is objectively incorrect. The two programs I did just weren't the best thing for me personally. Looking back, I got better results from the free preparation programs given to me by the organizations I was joining. A quick Google search will lead you to army.mil 30, 60, and 90 day Ranger School preparation programs.

There is a certain amount of confidence gained by showing up at the schoolhouse knowing you have prepared "their way." Maybe you did it their way in addition to using TB, Stew Smith, or whatever.

For example, with two years to prepare, you could build your fitness with TB's BB, Black, and Green. Then run the .mil 90 day program. Then evaluate your progress, and use the Stew Smith book if you deem it necessary.

Good luck, and thanks for stepping up to serve.
"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.

Joesph155

Post by Joesph155 »

I actually found the Ranger 30,60, and 90 day program, but I didn't know if I was supposed to do all 3 and build up to the 90 day or not. It seemed like a good program though. I used a Stew Smith beginner workout and felt over trained, so I feel your pain, somewhat.