Reading List

The Lounge
Barkadion

Re: Reading List

Post by Barkadion »

VenomousCoffee wrote:I read Kettlebell Simple and Sinister by Pavel Tsatulin yesterday afternoon at work. I don't plan on copying the program, but it's interesting and it has good info. He's definitely what we used to call a "character" with a clear voice; I really chuckled a few times.

Definitely worth reading.
It is a bible for many people. Good book.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

Terminal List by Jack Carr was a lot of fun

OneOfManyRobs

Post by OneOfManyRobs »

I just read Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything by Joshua Foer, and it was pretty interesting. It starts with the Memory championships, and how the contestants memorize the order of a deck of cards in seconds. The book centers on the author's year spent learning the techniques, and how he went from a nobody tot he US National memory champion in a year.

It's written pretty well, and the techniques are certainly things I could use professionally for things like license plate numbers, descriptions, elements of crimes, etc.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

I am finishing “Area X” series by Jeff VanderMeer. If you like weird fiction.. I do. Remains me old Soviet movie “Stalker” and books of Stanislav Lem.. as well as Twin Peaks dossier. There is recent movie “Annihilation” based on one of the books from the trilogy.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

OneOfManyRobs wrote:I just read Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything by Joshua Foer
I really enjoyed that book. I read it a few years ago and I used the techniques to memorize faces w/ crimes on a section of my agency's written exam. I aced that part using the realtion stuff and the mind map stuff. I should implement it again.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

This year I'm working through the Marine Corps professional reading list so I alternate one book from there with a book I want to read outside of it.

From the reading list - "Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game" by Michael Lewis. Interesting read on how the Oakland A's has the lowest funds of any MLB team but consistently does well because of their unorthodox recruiting and approach to baseball in general. I was never much of a baseball fan but it was an interesting read and has some good leadership lessons in there. My eyes glazed a bit over at all the statistics and trade wars but otherwise it's worth reading once.

Personal choice - "The Big Sleep" by Raymond Chandler. Chandler is considered the founder of hard boiled detective fiction with his Philip Marlowe novels and influenced some of my favorite authors so this was my first book of his. And it was terrific. I really enjoyed it and can't wait to read the next one.

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

grouchyjarhead wrote:This year I'm working through the Marine Corps professional reading list so I alternate one book from there with a book I want to read outside of it.

Personal choice - "The Big Sleep" by Raymond Chandler. Chandler is considered the founder of hard boiled detective fiction with his Philip Marlowe novels and influenced some of my favorite authors so this was my first book of his. And it was terrific. I really enjoyed it and can't wait to read the next one.
Good plan. I haven't touched that list in awhile. Some really good reads in there for sure.

I've been meaning to start some Chandler books, since I just finished True Believer, I think I'll make The Big Sleep my next read.