Reading List

The Lounge
Aelian

Re: Reading List

Post by Aelian »

Maxrip13 wrote:
Aelian wrote:About 3/4 of the way through Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*K.....and am a little underwhelmed. Doesn't seem all that different from the self-help books the 90s gave us. It's got a few gems scattered throughout (like "take action" and "motivation follows action") but these have been done before. I still can't figure out what the overarching message is, and seems like a lot of contradictory advice in some places. Not bad by any stretch, but not remarkable imo.
Thank you good sir. Another one that keeps popping up in my recommended amazon list.
I don't find those sorts of books worth the effort of reading really.
I already know and do alot of the things they say to do.

The only ones I really find useful are selection type books for military or similar.
I especially enjoy when they focus on the training they went through.
Np! If it does end up getting better I'll update..

Have you read the old Bravo Two Zero book about the SAS? It doesn't exactly fit into the category we're discussing but I found a 1000x better than most books for imparting mindset. If you like the selection related stuff then his follow up book "Immediate Action" is awesome, goes into detail about his SAS selection.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Aelian wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:
Aelian wrote:About 3/4 of the way through Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*K.....and am a little underwhelmed. Doesn't seem all that different from the self-help books the 90s gave us. It's got a few gems scattered throughout (like "take action" and "motivation follows action") but these have been done before. I still can't figure out what the overarching message is, and seems like a lot of contradictory advice in some places. Not bad by any stretch, but not remarkable imo.
Thank you good sir. Another one that keeps popping up in my recommended amazon list.

The only ones I really find useful are selection type books for military or similar.

Have you read the old Bravo Two Zero book about the SAS? It doesn't exactly fit into the category we're discussing but I found a 1000x better than most books for imparting mindset. If you like the selection related stuff then his follow up book "Immediate Action" is awesome, goes into detail about his SAS selection.
I haven't had the chance to yet, but I have heard good things. I will definitely take that recommendation.
I find this more interesting and relevant than most self help books these days.

I think it's the real life examples and the fact that they are about the physical and mental hardships.

I don't get anything from a book that tells me I need to get up early and get things done.
I have been doing that every day since I was 17, both through the military and now in my current LEO work.
I never had a choice of whether I was going to do something or not. You just get it done.
I reckon that is why I like the selection stuff. It's similar,but in the end it's your choice if you keep going at selection.
No one will make you stay and I like the mentality of people that make that decision.

Aelian

Post by Aelian »

Maxrip13 wrote:
Aelian wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:

I haven't had the chance to yet, but I have heard good things. I will definitely take that recommendation.

I think it's the real life examples and the fact that they are about the physical and mental hardships.

I don't get anything from a book that tells me I need to get up early and get things done.
I have been doing that every day since I was 17, both through the military and now in my current LEO work.
I never had a choice of whether I was going to do something or not. You just get it done.
I reckon that is why I like the selection stuff. It's similar,but in the end it's your choice if you keep going at selection.
No one will make you stay and I like the mentality of people that make that decision.
You'll probably love Immediate Action then. I'd skip Bravo Two Zero and go with IA first if you decide to give 'em a read.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Aelian wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:
Aelian wrote:

You'll probably love Immediate Action then. I'd skip Bravo Two Zero and go with IA first if you decide to give 'em a read.
Thanks for heads up. I will add it to the list :D

godjira1

Post by godjira1 »

I read Bravo Two Zero and Immediate Action when I was in OCS (not as part of the course) for some motivation to handle the stupid chickenshit (as opposed to bullshit) that happens in officer school. This was 20 years ago now!!!

But yes, it definitely gave me some inspiration to harden the heck up so strongly recommend it.
It ain't what you don’t know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain’t so.

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Tym87 wrote:
ARLOG2017 wrote:
Tym87 wrote:
How is it so far?
I loved the first book in the series. Definitely worth it if you are into sci-fi/space-opera/adventure type series. I'm reading the second book in the series right now. It's pretty good.

I'll look into it. Have you read the Foundation trilogy? I just started the first book. Elon Musk credits the series for a lot of his business ideas.
I think I read at least one of the Foundation books when I was a teen, if I remember correctly one of the main characters was in a wheelchair. I have very little recollection, may have to revisit it.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

This is odd fare here, but I want to continue something the came up tangentially in my training log.

Bark -- I know you were kidding around, but I find this issue pretty intriguing. I haven't actually read the Black Notebooks, but my understanding from what has been written about them by reliable scholars is that they are very damning to Heidegger. I've always been pretty much agnostic or aloof about the debate over Heidegger's character: it's not really what I do, and I find it curious that Arendt (a Jew and definitely no fascist herself) doesn't press the issue. However, I think Safransky's biography leaves little left to the question, and my own reading of Heidegger's first two sets of lectures on Nietzsche convinced me that the guy really was fascist, and his politics can't be neatly separated from his philosophy. I also think that there are elements of Heidegger's work that don't fit at all with his politics, which probably raises issues about the overall coherence of his philosophy. I find him fascinating mainly because of the problems he raises.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

J-Madd wrote:This is odd fare here, but I want to continue something the came up tangentially in my training log.

Bark -- I know you were kidding around, but I find this issue pretty intriguing. I haven't actually read the Black Notebooks, but my understanding from what has been written about them by reliable scholars is that they are very damning to Heidegger. I've always been pretty much agnostic or aloof about the debate over Heidegger's character: it's not really what I do, and I find it curious that Arendt (a Jew and definitely no fascist herself) doesn't press the issue. However, I think Safransky's biography leaves little left to the question, and my own reading of Heidegger's first two sets of lectures on Nietzsche convinced me that the guy really was fascist, and his politics can't be neatly separated from his philosophy. I also think that there are elements of Heidegger's work that don't fit at all with his politics, which probably raises issues about the overall coherence of his philosophy. I find him fascinating mainly because of the problems he raises.
Those are very interesting questions. Overall, his story remains me Mephisto by Klaus Mann. After 1945 Heidegger never published anything like Black Notebooks, right? So, I'd say.. (could it be so?) "fascist" is more like label. But we are always labeling all phenomena :)

But, man oh man, Being and Time is THE book. Not like these letters:
https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/201 ... own-words/

BTW, I always treated Nietzsche as a poet more than philosopher. And he is philosopher #1. No kidding :D
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

Tym87 wrote:
TangoZero wrote:
Is the Snowman part of a longer detective series? Sounds vaguely familiar.
It is book 7 in the "Harry Hole" (fantastic name) series. I read the first one and skipped ahead to finish it before the movie comes out this month. It's Norwegian I believe. I'd compare it to Michael Connelly but a little darker, Thomas Harris maybe.
Thanks for putting me on to Nesbo gents. Truth be told I didn't think much of Snowman, but ended up reading The Thirst after which was fantastic. Couldn't put it down. Just started The Leopard, set right after the Snowman, so we'll see how that goes!

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

Been gone awhile, but I really enjoyed Don Winslow's The Force. Any LEOs want to chime in on this?

Also I am currently burning through a Warren Buffet and a Ben Franklin biography.