Reading List

The Lounge
nickgoldma

Re: Reading List

Post by nickgoldma »

"Lest We Forget" by Leo Jenkins is a very good and entertaining read. He was a Ranger-Medic in the 75th Ranger Regiment and its very good.
Get after it!

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

I'm pretty much recommending Jordan Perterson's Twelve Rules for Life to everybody I know. It has an unfortunately "self-help-ish" title (and there is some of that, to good effect, in the book), but it really is a very serious piece of depth psychology and philosophy from an extremely learned man. I took a lot away from this book. It might be worth it for the references to other books in the notes (like most good books).

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

J-Madd wrote:I'm pretty much recommending Jordan Perterson's Twelve Rules for Life to everybody I know. It has an unfortunately "self-help-ish" title (and there is some of that, to good effect, in the book), but it really is a very serious piece of depth psychology and philosophy from an extremely learned man. I took a lot away from this book. It might be worth it for the references to other books in the notes (like most good books).
Added to the queue!

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Tym87 wrote:
J-Madd wrote:I'm pretty much recommending Jordan Perterson's Twelve Rules for Life to everybody I know. It has an unfortunately "self-help-ish" title (and there is some of that, to good effect, in the book), but it really is a very serious piece of depth psychology and philosophy from an extremely learned man. I took a lot away from this book. It might be worth it for the references to other books in the notes (like most good books).
Added to the queue!
After you read the first chapter, you'll get what I mean when I say put on your "winner lobster brain."

ectional

Post by ectional »

Been pushing off buying that book for about a month now but I've been really interested to read it. Sounds like I need to get it ASAP.
How is his writing? I like to listen to his lectures or podcasts on youtube but he has a tendency to form complicated and difficult to follow sentences and analogies. Is the case same with his book?

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

ectional wrote:
Been pushing off buying that book for about a month now but I've been really interested to read it. Sounds like I need to get it ASAP.
How is his writing? I like to listen to his lectures or podcasts on youtube but he has a tendency to form complicated and difficult to follow sentences and analogies. Is the case same with his book?
Keep in mind, that I spend most of my days reading the most convoluted academic writing you can imagine (and I have to admit to indulging a good bit of that blather myself). That being said, I found Peterson's writing very accessible. I think he is much better in writing, than in his lectures. He tends to go distract by tangents in his speaking (which are often pretty fruitful, but difficult to follow), whereas his prose is very structured.

K.B.
Site Admin

Post by K.B. »

I listened to this guy speak a few years ago and have been meaning to recommend his book for a while now - especially to our LEO/Military/first responder members:

emotionalsurvival.com/brotherhood_of_biochemistry.htm

The above is a link to an article where you can also find your way to his book 'Emotional Survival for Law Enforcement'.
In particular I like the connection he makes between cardiovascular training (not lifting) and it's role in decompressing/stress-management.

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

Recently finished:
No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy - Bio of General Mattis. Pretty damn good book that shows even more how he was a true leading from the front leader and general (no pun intended) badass.

You Were Never Really Here - Short violent book that's a page turner.

Bind, Torture, Kill - the book on how the BTK killer was caught. Really good and layers book on the case and from multiple perspectives.

It's been a good month.

ectional

Post by ectional »

Has anyone read "The Dichotomy of Leadership" by Jocko Willink and Leif Babbin yet? If so what'd you think?

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Not yet but it's on my list.

I actually made a big turn towards fiction this year. It's been a few years but I'm burning through Robert B. Parker's Spenser series once again. I started with the first and just recently finished the 30th novel, "Back Story." I am always in awe of his writing style.