Reading List

The Lounge
Ibrahimovic105

Re: Reading List

Post by Ibrahimovic105 »

grouchyjarhead wrote:Not yet but it's on my list.

I actually made a big turn towards fiction this year. It's been a few years but I'm burning through Robert B. Parker's Spenser series once again. I started with the first and just recently finished the 30th novel, "Back Story." I am always in awe of his writing style.
Keep up brother! I got back into reading this year thanks to Pewdiepie(most subscribed youtuber on youtube before Tseries overtakes him :lol: ) who started a book club where he reviews the books he reads.Thanks to him i read great books this year like I am Legend,Flowers for algernon,Old man and the sea,1984 etc. Here's the link to his review :- https://youtu.be/oZ_qiYc133U

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

grouchyjarhead wrote:Not yet but it's on my list.

I actually made a big turn towards fiction this year. It's been a few years but I'm burning through Robert B. Parker's Spenser series once again. I started with the first and just recently finished the 30th novel, "Back Story." I am always in awe of his writing style.
That sounds right up my alley. New Bosch book comes out this month and I've been jonesing for a fix

Ginjadave

Post by Ginjadave »

If anyones a fan of the Spy/CIA/Assasin type of genre i can recommend all the following series in order of how good i've rated the but all are excellent.

1) Mitch Rapp series from Vince Flynn - Read them Chronologically rather than in order they were publishd (ignore the terrible American Assassin movie they made the books are fantastic)

2) Victor the Assassin series by Tom wood (Joint first place with Vince Flynn)

3) Tom Clancy stuff from 2010 onwards starting with Dead or Alive - A standalone book called support and defend is a highlight

4) The grey man series by Mark Greaney - A little (ok a lot) Far fetched but entertaining non the less

5) Jack Reacher Series by Lee Child - Ive read them all, some are better than others but all good brain out fun.

wcu25rs

Post by wcu25rs »

Ginjadave wrote:If anyones a fan of the Spy/CIA/Assasin type of genre i can recommend all the following series in order of how good i've rated the but all are excellent.

3) Tom Clancy stuff from 2010 onwards starting with Dead or Alive - A standalone book called support and defend is a highlight

I'm an avid reader of Clancy's Ryanverse(currently reading Power and Empire by Marc Cameron which imo is the best Jack Ryan series writer since Clancy died), so I'm curious why the recommendation for the newer stuff but not the original Clancy books. As much as I still enjoy the books since he died, none of the current writers can match what Clancy brought to the table.

This series might have been mentioned in here but One Second After by William Fortschen is fantastic. Just got the second book in the series and will be starting it soon.

Ginjadave

Post by Ginjadave »

Very simple answer to why I can’t recommend the older Clancy stuff, I’ve never read any of it!

I plan to read it but I picked up dead or alive from a second hand shop and as I knew it was the first of the new wave of books I just carried on from there and have so many books I’ve not got round to Clancys older stuff yet but it’s all on my list.

I’m currently 2/3 of the way through power and empire too and agree it’s a fantastic read.

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

I've read 1.5 Tom Wood "Victor" books now and I'm liking them. I mean, as books they are terrible (I'm an English teacher, so factor that in), but I like them the same way I like Scott Adkins movies--lots of violence, well done.

Ginjadave

Post by Ginjadave »

Can’t say I noticed that Tom Woods books were badly written but then again I listened to them all on Audiobook whilst driving and my English Grammar isn’t great anyways.

The only books I’ve had to give up on are Brad Taylor’s Scot Harvarth series, I read one and it was so badly written I just couldn’t bring myself to endure any more of the series.

Gr4f

Post by Gr4f »

I have to second the Scot Harvath opinion - i finished Lions of Lucerne but it was quite annoying at times

Ginjadave

Post by Ginjadave »

Yeah Lions of Lucerne is the one i read too, utter drivel.

wcu25rs

Post by wcu25rs »

Ginjadave wrote:Very simple answer to why I can’t recommend the older Clancy stuff, I’ve never read any of it!

I plan to read it but I picked up dead or alive from a second hand shop and as I knew it was the first of the new wave of books I just carried on from there and have so many books I’ve not got round to Clancys older stuff yet but it’s all on my list.

I’m currently 2/3 of the way through power and empire too and agree it’s a fantastic read.
when you start, I highly recommend reading in chronological order. Also, if you think the current books are good(and I agree they are all solid books, some being better than others of course), you are in for a real treat when you start reading the clancy written books. The first one in the series "Without Remorse" is still currently my favorite fiction book Ive read.