Reading List

The Lounge
Ginjadave

Re: Reading List

Post by Ginjadave »

I was checking them out the other day on clancys website. I’ve just started Line if sight but will crack into the old stuff once I’ve finished it

K.B.
Site Admin

Post by K.B. »

VenomousCoffee wrote:I've read 1.5 Tom Wood "Victor" books now and I'm liking them. I mean, as books they are terrible (I'm an English teacher, so factor that in), but I like them the same way I like Scott Adkins movies--lots of violence, well done.
If you like Wood & Clancy check out the John Rain series by Ex-CIA member Barry Eisler. My favorite in the genre, right up there with the original Ian Flemming Bond.

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

K.B. wrote: If you like Wood & Clancy check out the John Rain series by Ex-CIA member Barry Eisler. My favorite in the genre, right up there with the original Ian Flemming Bond.
I read the first one last year and I really liked it. I think they are being rebranded now with different names for the same books. I will check out the next in line.

Ginjadave

Post by Ginjadave »

I’ve not heard of Barry Eisler but will certainly check him out, I’m burning through 1-2 audiobooks a week on my commute to work at the moment so good to have another series of books lined up!

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

K.B. wrote:
If you like Wood & Clancy check out the John Rain series by Ex-CIA member Barry Eisler. My favorite in the genre, right up there with the original Ian Flemming Bond.
I will. Thanks for the rec!

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

I finished the first John Rain book and liked it; some of the sentences were legitimately pretty good. And although I knew about Japan's using unnecessary public works to drive their economy, I learned something about how deep the corruption ran surrounding it (not the assassination stuff, of course, I mean the book's background material).

I also appreciated his explanation in the beginning of how he got saddled with a series of terrible puns for the books' titles. He definitely is more aware of the craftsmanship of writing than Wood or Greaney.

Ginjadave

Post by Ginjadave »

Nearly at the End of John rain Number 3 and enjoying the series, much less fantastical violence of super hero proportions which is a refreshing change, I like that The author narrates then too, he has a good voice for it. I’ll definitley listen to the entire series.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Reading "Legion of the Lost" by Jaime Salazar right now. Cliffs Notes so far - young disgruntled American business star decides to escape it all and joins the French Foreign Legion, then once he serves his tour decides to write about the good and the bad of it.

Tom28

Post by Tom28 »

grouchyjarhead wrote:Reading "Legion of the Lost" by Jaime Salazar right now. Cliffs Notes so far - young disgruntled American business star decides to escape it all and joins the French Foreign Legion, then once he serves his tour decides to write about the good and the bad of it.
Wow, that looks great. Thanks for posting it. I'm gonna read it after I finish the book I'm reading now: "The Killer Angels - The Novel of the Civil War" which is very good. I guess there's a reason it's considered a classic.

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

I read Kettlebell Simple and Sinister by Pavel Tsatulin yesterday afternoon at work. I don't plan on copying the program, but it's interesting and it has good info. He's definitely what we used to call a "character" with a clear voice; I really chuckled a few times.

Definitely worth reading.