Reading List

The Lounge
J-Madd

Re: Reading List

Post by J-Madd »

Right now I'm reading The Meaning of Modern Art (Karsten Harries) for my "work" book. If anyone wants to dip a toe into aesthetics, this a great place to start. I'm teaching a course on that area in the fall, this will definitely make reading list for that syllabus

Recreationally, I'm reading Shusaku Endo's Silence. If Scorsese's film even approaches the profundity of Endo's novel, it is a masterpiece. Silence is really pushing me around in some good ways. I'm hoping to get the book finished this week, so the Mrs. and I can go see the film this weekend.

I also just finished Paulo Guillobel's Mastering the 21 Immutable Principles of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. That book really helped my game. It helped me stop thinking of my "game" solely in terms of techniques, and instead to focus more on principles and habits. That slight change in mindset has really helped me on the mat.

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

J-Madd wrote: That's probably true of every job that attracts people who are committed to more than just prestige/money.
That's Deep JMadd. Very true, you can see that just about every where

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Reading "Journey to Mindfulness". It is autobiography of Bhante G. the author of "Mindfulness in plain English".
You might like it if you into meditation and you dig autobiographies.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

Barkadion wrote:Reading "Journey to Mindfulness". It is autobiography of Bhante G. the author of "Mindfulness in plain English".
Bark, now that you have read a handful of these meditation and mindfulness books how do you incorporate it into life/training if you do?

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Tym87 wrote:
Barkadion wrote:Reading "Journey to Mindfulness". It is autobiography of Bhante G. the author of "Mindfulness in plain English".
Bark, now that you have read a handful of these meditation and mindfulness books how do you incorporate it into life/training if you do?
I am practicing daily meditation. It might sound silly but it is a challenge for me to find dedicated quiet place/time in my 24hrs. My best bet is time after training early morning. I have started with 5min of breathing practice and progressed to 30min so far. I get up 30m earlier than before but it worth it.

I am using "The Mind Illuminated" book as my guid into mindful technique. Can't say enough about the book. Awesome. I also try to pay attention to the breathing (and to be more mindful) throughout my day.

I've started to see physiological benefits right away in terms of lower BP, better sleep, and better recovery from training. I am very interested in mindful side of meditation now.

It is all baby steps. But I am really happy to discover something very new and see how it is working for me. I am looking forward to my meditation time every day. Very intimate, personal experience.

travman

Post by travman »

I currently read a lot for graduate school.

A recommendation I have is, The Dictators Handbook: Why Bad Behavior Is Almost Always Good Politics by Bruce Bueno De Mesquita and Alastair Smith.

On the more political philosophical side is, War Ends and Means by Angelo Codevilla and Pail Seabury

On the personal reading I am reading two general knowledge books: 1) The Chrysanthemum and the Sword by Ruth Benedict, and Enhanced Interrogation: Inside The Minds and Motives of The Islamic Terrorists Trying to Destroy America by James E. Mitchell, PhD with Bill Harlow

On the spiritual side: The King's Good Servant But God's First: The Life and Writings of St. Thomas More by James Monti.

alottadav

Post by alottadav »

RE READING- "mind gym: an athletes guide to inner excellence" by gary Mack/ David casstevens ------ I failed a SOF selection 2 years ago I was 100% prepared and capable for.

Halfway through "shaken" by Tim review.
Never been a fan of his particularly but can appreciate his mindset and optimism in negative times
Lots of personal reflection with these two.

Also reading "ego is the enemy" by Ryan Holliday- I wanted to read his other book mentioned here but only found this one at the airport bookstore.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

I've started "Zen and Brain" today. I am not too optimistic that I have a patients to finish it but I do like it so far. It is obvious that the book is written with intelligence and wisdom. But it is damn huge :)

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

Currently reading Ageless Athlete. 8-) Great stuff and I'm only half in. Definitely useful for anyone and not just older athletes.

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

I really enjoyed Ageless Athlete. There are some cool mental training techniques/ideas in addition to some other strategies. I'm going to be adding to my next block some of the stuff I learned in it. I'm going to be adding the Farmer's Carries, Swings and Plank and Shanks to my MS dayd as described in the book. KB swings are integrated in a TB style with advice on when to use one hand vs two hand for strength and conditioning. I also liked his small tweak to Plank and Shanks. If you are a younger TB reader, I’d still recommend buying it, it expands upon the other books plus J-Madd offers up so much free advice I'd like to send him a buck or two.