Reading List

The Lounge
Tym87

Reading List

Post by Tym87 »

What are you all currently reading? Fiction, Nonfiction, fitness, occupational etc. I'm always looking for the next new book to dig into.

Canterbury

Re: Reading List

Post by Canterbury »

Just finished "Child 44""....the first half was great, the second half not so much. Next up on my list is a David Gemmell book; "The Lion of Macedon", a fantasy type retelling of Alexander the Great is what it looks like. I use to read Gemmell years ago, recently had the urge to get back into his stuff.

Sorntel

Post by Sorntel »

I'm reading the Southern Reach trilogy right now and it's mind numbing and dull. I don't understand all the praise it's getting. Finished the first book in the trilogy and I swear I could've written something better in grade school. I don't think I'll be continuing.

CannonballRun

Post by CannonballRun »

Recently finished Ultmate MMA Conditioning by Joel Jamieson. Good info overall, but more on the scientific side related to MMA conditioning. Essentially supports what is written in the TB books, but gives more behind the scenes info and may not be quite as easily digestible as the TB books in my opinion.

Sorntel

Post by Sorntel »

CannonballRun wrote:Recently finished Ultmate MMA Conditioning by Joel Jamieson. Good info overall, but more on the scientific side related to MMA conditioning. Essentially supports what is written in the TB books, but gives more behind the scenes info and may not be quite as easily digestible as the TB books in my opinion.
Yeah I agree, phenomenal book but a little too theory heavy. I prefer my meat cut up and served to me :)

I'm pretty sure UMC is referenced in TB2.

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

First let me say that I love to read so this is broken up into 3 parts:
-I'm reading through Mike Boyle's New Functional Training for Sports. I find fitness stuff interesting even if I'm not looking to get away from TB.
-With my 2 boys (ages 10 and 8), I am reading through The Lord of the Rings. We've already read The Hobbit. My oldest loves fantasy stuff, and my youngest loves adventure, and LOTR has both. Also, while Tolkien said that he didn't write LOTR as a Christian allegory, there's plenty of opportunity for the boys and me to talk about our faith which is important in our family.
-As I said, my oldest loves fantasy but we are careful with what our kids read. So I'm reading ahead through the Percy Jackson series before letting him read it to make sure that it's something that I'm comfortable with him reading. Being geared towards older kids, it's a fast and entertaining read, and it's something light before bed.

Blackmetalbunny

Post by Blackmetalbunny »

Fiction
Death or Glory, a Warhammer 40k novel - because I need some humour in my reading list

Training
Olympic Weightlifting for Sports" by Greg Everett
Ultimate MMA Conditioning - Joel Jamieson
The Muscle & Strength Nutrition Pyramid - Eric Helms
Street Workout - Al & Danny Kavadlo (because some days lifting yourself feels so much better and cooler than lifting a weight)

Not quite a book
The Lifting Lyceum - Greg Nuckols & Omar Isuf
because my lifting form tends to be shitty, so I'm always trying to find way to improve on it.

CannonballRun

Post by CannonballRun »

Sorntel wrote:
CannonballRun wrote:Recently finished Ultmate MMA Conditioning by Joel Jamieson. Good info overall, but more on the scientific side related to MMA conditioning. Essentially supports what is written in the TB books, but gives more behind the scenes info and may not be quite as easily digestible as the TB books in my opinion.
Yeah I agree, phenomenal book but a little too theory heavy. I prefer my meat cut up and served to me :)

I'm pretty sure UMC is referenced in TB2.
I agree. I certainly noticed similarity in the methods utilized, which was reaffirming. Was an interesting read, just not really necessary for me in hindsight.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Training: I've just ordered "Ready to run" by Kelly Starrett that I am going to start as soon as it gets delivered. Gotta get down to my gait issues with running.

Non-Training: Finishing "When Nietzsche Wept" by Irvin Yalom

And I find myself re-reading TB books on the regular basis.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

I'm glad you said that. I was debating since it is interesting, but the price tag was too high.

I'm currently reading The Stand for reasons unknown even to myself; it is very long. I'm