Reading List

The Lounge
Block20GoesBoom

Re: Reading List

Post by Block20GoesBoom »

Picked up extreme ownership due to this thread and completed it in a few days. I really enjoyed it, and as active duty I could see all of this transitioning into my lifestyle.

Also picked up left of bang from this thread. In progress at the moment but it definitely will have practical applications

BlackPyjamas

Post by BlackPyjamas »

Just finished reading "1984". Wow.

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

BlackPyjamas wrote:Just finished reading "1984". Wow.
I just borrowed it, but I haven't cracked it yet. One of those books that somehow never got read while in school...

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Tym87 wrote:
I just borrowed it, but I haven't cracked it yet. One of those books that somehow never got read while in school...
My oldest son and I read 1984, Brave New World, and Fahrenheit 451 together last summer. It was a very cool experience reading and discussing those books with him.

BlackPyjamas

Post by BlackPyjamas »

Tym87 wrote:
Same here. Felt like I was one of the few people on the planet that hadn't read it. Well worth the read. It usually takes me a while to get into classical fiction because of writing style and pace, but this one was engrossing right from the start, a very smooth read.

BlackPyjamas

Post by BlackPyjamas »

J-Madd wrote:
Tym87 wrote:
My oldest son and I read 1984, Brave New World, and Fahrenheit 451 together last summer. It was a very cool experience reading and discussing those books with him.
Nice. The other two are both on my list....which would you recommend first?

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

BlackPyjamas wrote:
J-Madd wrote:
Tym87 wrote:
Nice. The other two are both on my list....which would you recommend first?
That's a coin toss!

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

J-Madd wrote: My oldest son and I read 1984, Brave New World, and Fahrenheit 451 together last summer. It was a very cool experience reading and discussing those books with him.
I listened to the audio book of 451 not too long ago and it was absolutely amazing, scary and timely.

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

Just finished reading "Rework", a business success type book highly recommended by Mark Cuban and others. An easy read with some very interesting concepts for anyone that's self-employed or running a company.

Svenjolly

Post by Svenjolly »

I'm about 3/4 of the way through the "Fountainhead" by Ayn Rand. Other than some draggy passages and sometimes odd writing I'm not sure what the controversy is around Rand and this book. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can shed some light on this....would be very curious to hear different viewpoints or insights.