Reading List

The Lounge
Tym87

Re: Reading List

Post by Tym87 »

TangoZero wrote:
Is the Snowman part of a longer detective series? Sounds vaguely familiar.
It is book 7 in the "Harry Hole" (fantastic name) series. I read the first one and skipped ahead to finish it before the movie comes out this month. It's Norwegian I believe. I'd compare it to Michael Connelly but a little darker, Thomas Harris maybe.

TangoZero

Post by TangoZero »

Tym87 wrote:
TangoZero wrote:
It is book 7 in the "Harry Hole" (fantastic name) series. I read the first one and skipped ahead to finish it before the movie comes out this month. It's Norwegian I believe. I'd compare it to Michael Connelly but a little darker, Thomas Harris maybe.
Haha, yes then I think it's the book I'm thinking of. Thanks for the recommendation, I'm a big Bosch fan myself as you know, so I'll definitely start the series.

alphajuliet92

Post by alphajuliet92 »

Tym87 wrote:
alphajuliet92 wrote:Kiss or Kill by Mark Twight has been pretty entertaining thus far.
I've been meaning to for years. Is it like in vignettes or is it a longer piece?
It's in vignettes. Basically the book is a collection of pieces that he's written over the years coupled with his (relatively; Y2K) present-day commentary on those pieces. Interesting to see how the worldview of a master athlete and a practitioner of several crafts changed over time, and the lessons he learned throughout those experiences and life in general.

TangoZero

Post by TangoZero »

Tym87 wrote:
TangoZero wrote:

Finished this today. Loved it. I guessed both of the big twists a little too early, but didn't prevent me from enjoying it.....one thing I'm a little puzzled about: What's the deal with the mould man in the end?

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

TangoZero wrote:

Finished this today. Loved it. I guessed both of the big twists a little too early, but didn't prevent me from enjoying it.....one thing I'm a little puzzled about: What's the deal with the mould man in the end?
The mold man, I don't even know, I thought for sure he would be involved. I liked the book a lot but I remember the ending lines of the book was pretty odd and abrupt. I hear the movie is awful and doesn't follow the book so I think I will pass.

New Bosh book coming out for Halloween!

ARLOG2017

Post by ARLOG2017 »

Tym87 wrote:
Nomad wrote:For the sci-fi buffs....I just cracked open book 1 of the Expanse series. Came very highly recommended, it was put to me by a trustworthy source that it was right "up there with Game of Thrones". Will update as I progress.
How is it so far?
I loved the first book in the series. Definitely worth it if you are into sci-fi/space-opera/adventure type series. I'm reading the second book in the series right now. It's pretty good.
First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.”
― Epictetus

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

ARLOG2017 wrote:
Tym87 wrote:
Nomad wrote:For the sci-fi buffs....I just cracked open book 1 of the Expanse series. Came very highly recommended, it was put to me by a trustworthy source that it was right "up there with Game of Thrones". Will update as I progress.
How is it so far?
I loved the first book in the series. Definitely worth it if you are into sci-fi/space-opera/adventure type series. I'm reading the second book in the series right now. It's pretty good.

I'll look into it. Have you read the Foundation trilogy? I just started the first book. Elon Musk credits the series for a lot of his business ideas.

ARLOG2017

Post by ARLOG2017 »

Tym87 wrote:
ARLOG2017 wrote:
Tym87 wrote:
How is it so far?

I'll look into it. Have you read the Foundation trilogy? I just started the first book. Elon Musk credits the series for a lot of his business ideas.
I'm a huge fan of Elon, but I haven't read the book. I'll have to give that book a read, I saw a copy in the library today. What do you think of it so far?
First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.”
― Epictetus

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

ARLOG2017 wrote:
I'm a huge fan of Elon, but I haven't read the book. I'll have to give that book a read, I saw a copy in the library today. What do you think of it so far?
Interesting concept so far, Elon's book is good too.

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

One of Bark's posts reminded me of this. I highly recommend "Whoever Fights Monsters" by Robert Ressler for any true crime/serial killer buffs. Ressler was one of the agents that started the FBI's Behavioral Sciences Unit, and interviewed or investigated almost every major serial killer of his era. The material and insights are fascinating. Like did you know the most common car owned by serial killers was the VW Beetle?