Reading List

The Lounge
J-Madd

Re: Reading List

Post by J-Madd »

Right now I'm in the middle of McCarthy's Blood Meridian. I recommend it, but like all his novels, it's not for the faint of heart!

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

J-Madd wrote:Right now I'm in the middle of McCarthy's Blood Meridian. I recommend it, but like all his novels, it's not for the faint of heart!
Is this the latest one? I love his books.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Barkadion wrote:
J-Madd wrote:Right now I'm in the middle of McCarthy's Blood Meridian. I recommend it, but like all his novels, it's not for the faint of heart!
It's actually from 1985. I just haven't got around to it until now.

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

DocOctagon wrote:One of Bark's posts reminded me of this. I highly recommend "Whoever Fights Monsters" by Robert Ressler for any true crime/serial killer buffs. Ressler was one of the agents that started the FBI's Behavioral Sciences Unit, and interviewed or investigated almost every major serial killer of his era. The material and insights are fascinating. Like did you know the most common car owned by serial killers was the VW Beetle?
I read that one last month, good read. I read Mind Hunter about 10 years ago and that's a very similar book told from another guy's perspective who helped start the BSU

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

J-Madd wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
It's actually from 1985. I just haven't got around to it until now.
JMadd, let me know what you think. Favorite book by my favorite Author. It's probably the bleakest story ever.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

I currently half-way through the The Man From the Train by Bill James and Rachel McCarthy James (https://www.amazon.com/Man-Train-Solvin ... +the+train). This is the best piece of true crime writing I've read since Errol Morris Wilderness of Error (one of my favorites -- https://www.amazon.com/Wilderness-Error ... s+of+error). If you want a mix of true crime/serial killer yarns, rigorous investigative sleuthing, and just a smidge of epistemology, you can't beat either book. Morris gives you more epistemology, and James more serial murders.

travman

Post by travman »

I just finished The Generals by Thomas E. Ricks. It was an audiobook that covered U.S. Generalship from World War II to Present. Great read on what the standard is for generals, what has went wrong, and a recommendation on how to fix the next generation of generals. I am currently listening to The Six Frigates by Ian W. Toll, it is about the founding of the US Navy. Toll goes into a lot of detail. The second book I am listening to is Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. I just started the book yesterday, thus far Lewis has just laid the foundation of natural law and is going into Divine law.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

I do most of my reading via kindle and have to say I am massively disappointed by their update recently. I used to just go into my recommended books and pick a new book whenever I finished one but for some reason they removed the previous feature where it didn't include books you already owned. I have between 200-300 books on my kindle and I now spend most of my time scrolling through books I already have read. I am lucky to get a new book out of every 10 they recommend. Good job amazon... of course I would like that book. I already bloody bought it.

Book recommendation:

For people who are into traditional fantasy(Lord of the Rings etc) and want something different, I recommend Kings of the Wyld series.
Descriptive fight scenes and characters that have plenty of flaws. It is good to read something a bit different and I actually laughed out loud a few times at the ridiculousness.

I don't recommend Jock Willinks book, Discipline at all. It is just a book of quotes telling you that you should get up early and train. It literally could have been a blog post. It has put me off reading any of his other books.

Aelian

Post by Aelian »

About 3/4 of the way through Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*K.....and am a little underwhelmed. Doesn't seem all that different from the self-help books the 90s gave us. It's got a few gems scattered throughout (like "take action" and "motivation follows action") but these have been done before. I still can't figure out what the overarching message is, and seems like a lot of contradictory advice in some places. Not bad by any stretch, but not remarkable imo.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Aelian wrote:About 3/4 of the way through Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*K.....and am a little underwhelmed. Doesn't seem all that different from the self-help books the 90s gave us. It's got a few gems scattered throughout (like "take action" and "motivation follows action") but these have been done before. I still can't figure out what the overarching message is, and seems like a lot of contradictory advice in some places. Not bad by any stretch, but not remarkable imo.
Thank you good sir. Another one that keeps popping up in my recommended amazon list.
I don't find those sorts of books worth the effort of reading really.
I already know and do alot of the things they say to do.

The only ones I really find useful are selection type books for military or similar.
I especially enjoy when they focus on the training they went through.