Reading List

The Lounge
Tym87

Re: Reading List

Post by Tym87 »

TangoZero wrote:
Tym87 wrote:
nickgoldma wrote:So I have a tendency to start reading multiple books but typically get distracted with other parts of life and have a hard time finishing them. With that being said, for military type of reads, "Extreme Ownership" by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin (both former US Navy Seals) is a great read about leadership, and how their military experiences applies to leadership and ownership in life. Secondly, stuff about law enforcement is always up my alley, too. "Making of a Detective" by Harvey Rachland is a great read and I highly recommend it. I also want to pick up "Trident Warriors" by Mike Ritland who trained military working dogs for the Seal Teams.
I have reading ADD too. I'll usually have 2 or 3 going at once. I've been toying with Extreme Ownership, been in my wishlist for awhile, but I've heard conflicting reviews. I'm adding Making of a Detective to my list now, I love True Crime and Detective Fiction. I started an Audible account last year and finished every Michael Connelly book over the course of the year. If you like Detective fiction, there is no better than a Harry Bosch novel.
Love Bosch. The only police procedurals I can stomach. You might want to try "The Poet" by the same author, set in the Bosch universe but not a Bosch book.

Oh, and don't bother with the Bosch TV show...it's terrible.
TangoZero, I loved the Poet. Did you read the Scarecrow? It is the direct sequal to the Poet, I liked it even more. Blood Work was really good too. I got laid out for a month due to a surgery a little over a year ago and my wife got me a Kindle Fire to help me pass the time. I found Bosch through the show first, I enjoyed it and watched it all. Then I got the books... I started Season 2 a little while ago and I couldn't finish it because the books are so much better than the show. The show feels like they shuffeled the pages of 3 novels into one and didn't get any of the characters right.

I have tried to branch out to some other stuff, but you're right. Bosh is the only police procedural I can take. Lincoln Lawyer books are pretty decent too, especially the ones crossed over with Bosch.

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

nickgoldma, I would start with The Black Echo and then systematicaly go in order of the author's books. There will be some non Bosch books along the way, but if you read them in publication order the whole universe overlaps. Reading Bloodwork and the Lincoln Lawyer in order of their publication dates will allow you to recall characters from previous Bosch novels and so forth. It's a long journey this way, but highly rewarding.

NathanC77

Post by NathanC77 »

I really enjoyed Extreme Ownership as well. I can't say I'm the most consistent at practicing what's written in the book, but when I remember to make a point of doing so it definitely helps re-frame difficult situations.I just started "Grit" by Angela Duckworth. Someone, I think Blackmetalbunny, recommended it in the subreddit. I've only read the first couple chapters but I'm liking it so far. The author was on an episode of a podcast called "Econtalk" which was pretty good.

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

Tym87 wrote:nickgoldma, I would start with The Black Echo and then systematicaly go in order of the author's books. There will be some non Bosch books along the way, but if you read them in publication order the whole universe overlaps. Reading Bloodwork and the Lincoln Lawyer in order of their publication dates will allow you to recall characters from previous Bosch novels and so forth. It's a long journey this way, but highly rewarding.
Cool. I will certainly check those out.
Get after it!

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

mikhou wrote:EDIT: Hey tguys, after posting the above, I wanted to mention something in the realm of full disclosure. The books above are not "Christian" books, but all of the authors are professing Christians. Therefore, elements of faith are seen in all of the books; although, the word "Christian" is never used in any of them. Even if we don't share the same faith, I hope that we can share a love of fiction.
No issues with that at all, mikhou, I'm a Christian myself. Won't be offended if anyone recommends any other religious books either. I'm far too thick skinned to allow mere words to offend me.

Great book I just started this morning you should check out at your library is "Muscular Christianity" by Clifford Putney. Extremely interesting so far.

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

grouchyjarhead wrote:
mikhou wrote:EDIT: Hey tguys, after posting the above, I wanted to mention something in the realm of full disclosure. The books above are not "Christian" books, but all of the authors are professing Christians. Therefore, elements of faith are seen in all of the books; although, the word "Christian" is never used in any of them. Even if we don't share the same faith, I hope that we can share a love of fiction.
No issues with that at all, mikhou, I'm a Christian myself. Won't be offended if anyone recommends any other religious books either. I'm far too thick skinned to allow mere words to offend me.

Great book I just started this morning you should check out at your library is "Muscular Christianity" by Clifford Putney. Extremely interesting so far.
grouchy, thanks for the comment and the recommendation. I'll check it out. I keep a long reading list and it's always good to add new authors to it!

TangoZero

Post by TangoZero »

Tym87 wrote:
TangoZero, I loved the Poet. Did you read the Scarecrow? It is the direct sequal to the Poet, I liked it even more. Blood Work was really good too. I got laid out for a month due to a surgery a little over a year ago and my wife got me a Kindle Fire to help me pass the time. I found Bosch through the show first, I enjoyed it and watched it all. Then I got the books... I started Season 2 a little while ago and I couldn't finish it because the books are so much better than the show. The show feels like they shuffeled the pages of 3 novels into one and didn't get any of the characters right.

I have tried to branch out to some other stuff, but you're right. Bosh is the only police procedural I can take. Lincoln Lawyer books are pretty decent too, especially the ones crossed over with Bosch.

I had no fricken' idea there was a sequel to the Poet! Definitely up next on the reading list...thanks for the heads-up.

TangoZero

Post by TangoZero »

Some of you may enjoy the John Rain series by Barry Eisler. The thinking man's James Bond...not as heavy as LeCarre and more true-to-life than Flemming when it comes to tactics and trade-craft. The author's ex-CIA and really nails it.

Moz69

Post by Moz69 »

Training Wise Just browsed through Pavel's Simple and Sinister
Professionally A crap load of nursing books
For Fun Graham Hancock's Fingerprints of the Gods
An old Scottish friend once said to me "A queer bird the fish" I never bloody knew what he meant.

Ten8

Post by Ten8 »

Fiction: Mystic River (excellent)

Training: Overcoming Gravity, all about bodyweight training. There's gold in these pages but the book is very dense and not the most user friendly.

Other: Practical Shooting by Brian Enos