Training With A Hangover

The Lounge
Barkadion

Training With A Hangover

Post by Barkadion »

Holidays are coming.. It might makes sense to share a couple of good points..

http://startingstrength.com/articles/hangover_starr.pdf

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/science-binge-drinking/
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

grouchyjarhead

Re: Training With A Hangover

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Admittedly my best Marine Corps PFT was when I was still drunk. I scored a 290, only got 18 pull-ups. Got my 100 crunches in 2 minutes and puked violently. Then ran my 3 miles in 17:43 and puked violently again. I then passed out in the shower and woke up lying on the floor. Not my finest moment.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

grouchyjarhead wrote:Image

Admittedly my best Marine Corps PFT was when I was still drunk. I scored a 290, only got 18 pull-ups. Got my 100 crunches in 2 minutes and puked violently. Then ran my 3 miles in 17:43 and puked violently again. I then passed out in the shower and woke up lying on the floor. Not my finest moment.

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

That's outstanding.
Get after it!

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

I have similar experiences with fitness tests ...
I now no longer drink.

I used to binge drink from Friday to Sunday morning and then lift heavy on a Sunday afternoon.
I used to hit near triple body weight dead lifts completely hung over.

One of the PT guys knew a few of us would drink all weekend so he set up "sprint Mondays" to help sober us up. I used to get yelled at for spewing on the side of the oval by all the new higher ranks sandbagging the PT session. I would get my spewing done and go back to beating them in every single sprint.

Some of these sprints I beat them in may have involved me running backwards to prove a point....
Good times :D

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Maxrip13 wrote:I have similar experiences with fitness tests ...
I now no longer drink.

I used to binge drink from Friday to Sunday morning and then lift heavy on a Sunday afternoon.
I used to hit near triple body weight dead lifts completely hung over.

One of the PT guys knew a few of us would drink all weekend so he set up "sprint Mondays" to help sober us up. I used to get yelled at for spewing on the side of the oval by all the new higher ranks sandbagging the PT session. I would get my spewing done and go back to beating them in every single sprint.

Some of these sprints I beat them in may have involved me running backwards to prove a point....
Good times :D
It's good to be young.. Man.. I remember my 20s..I'd party overnight, hit the gym in the morning, and go to college for the midterm. Didn't know what hangover is about. Didn't know what "burn out" feeling is about.

Now however... Well.. I don't drink anymore anyway. But let me tell you.. hangover after 40s is a sadistic maniac that kills you slowly.. :evil:

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Barkadion wrote:[quote="Maxrip13"But let me tell you.. hangover after 40s is a sadistic maniac that kills you slowly.. :evil:
Amen brother. That's the only place I really feel my age.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Haha I am only 25 but I have been training seriously for half my life. I already feel like a 40 year old and have for some time.
It will be scary to see what my body is like at that age. I guess thats what attracts me to a sustainable program like Tactical Barbell.

Aelian

Post by Aelian »

Ahhh the memories this brings back. Unusually quiet and grim looking faces on Monday morning... troops leaving the pack to puke roadside and then sprinting to catch up. The only thing that saved us was that half the NCOs were as hungover as the rest of us.