Any martial arts practitioners here?

The Lounge
nickgoldma

Any martial arts practitioners here?

Post by nickgoldma »

Hey everyone. Just wondering if anybody here practices martial arts currently or has in the past? I think it'd be cool to see where everyone's experience comes from and get a good dialogue going.

Anyways, I currently practice Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I am a white belt and actually just earned my second stripe tonight. Its a great feeling for sure. I started going roughly a year ago and I fell in love with it. Its a lot of fun and I train with some great people. Goal wise, i would love to sign up for a tournament when I feel a little more confident. I went to Tap Cancer Out this past weekend and i really enjoyed watching and not to mention a great cause!

What about the rest of you?
Get after it!

J-Madd

Re: Any martial arts practitioners here?

Post by J-Madd »

Nick -- Why wait to do a tournament? There a lot of fun, you will probably get matched with guys at your ability level, and in my experience the atmosphere will be such that nobody is going to be embarrassed about losing anything. I practice a sort of mixed jundo-jujitsu, and I had only been doing it for about six months when I entered a BJJ tournament last December. It was an absolute blast, and I think it was one of the best learning experiences in my practice so far.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

I trained for 14 years until a few recurring injuries prevent me from full contact training. Specifically Goju Ryu Karate and Kyokushinkai Karate, then later I began getting heavy into Judo. Furthest I got was a nikyu in Kyokushin (2nd kyu, brown belt). Trained in Muay Thai for a bit in between Kyokushinkai instructors.

Ten8

Post by Ten8 »

I've got a few years of Muay Thai and boxing under my belt. Nothing serious and my training's not as consistent as I'd like.

Ten8

Post by Ten8 »

grouchyjarhead wrote:I trained for 14 years until a few recurring injuries prevent me from full contact training. Specifically Goju Ryu Karate and Kyokushinkai Karate, then later I began getting heavy into Judo. Furthest I got was a nikyu in Kyokushin (2nd kyu, brown belt). Trained in Muay Thai for a bit in between Kyokushinkai instructors.
One of my buddy's was just telling me about the process for getting a black belt in Kyokushinkai. Something like fighting 10 people back to back, 2 minute rounds. Sounds insane!

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Ten8 wrote:One of my buddy's was just telling me about the process for getting a black belt in Kyokushinkai. Something like fighting 10 people back to back, 2 minute rounds. Sounds insane!
For brown belt we would spar knockdown rules (bare knuckle punches and elbows to the body, knees and kicks to the legs, body, and head) and have to fight for 30 continuous minutes. They would switch out an opponent every 2 minutes. At a certain point you literally feel as if you are just fighting to survive. Shodan is 60 minutes. Definitely one of the toughest tests I underwent.

travman

Post by travman »

I was recently thinking of joining a BJJ place by my apartment, however I am having a tough time justifying the $190/mo price point.

lennarn

Post by lennarn »

I've been practicing martial arts for many years on and off. I've been gravitating towards combatives for a while because I want the most effective self defence stuff. Just started doing Defendo and it's the best class I've ever been to. Highly recommended, especially for security professionals and LE.

Lycan

Post by Lycan »

Yep, there seems to be a bunch here.

I'm around 10 years in martial arts, first aikido, then wing-chun, then mixed wherever I could afford to (money is also an issue at my town). Add some ninjutsu, muay thai and here we go.
I am doing martial arts and self-defense, not martial sports, just not my type of thing, but I like sparring with them when I can.
Looking forward to exchanging opinions.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

I did my share of MA in my youth. About 4 years of boxing when I was 16yo or so and then Shorinji Kempo in my 20s.
Last edited by Barkadion on Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky