Weed

The Lounge
Barkadion

Weed

Post by Barkadion »

Recreational marijuana is now officially legal to smoke and grow for Massachusetts residents 21 and older... As of today. As of today. As of today.
I am Bostonian and it makes me thinking..

Personally, I don't use. BUT. I do know few very very strong and dedicated athletes who smoke the weed on the regular basis.They swear that it helps them to relax and to recover from heavy training.

What do you guys think about the whole 9 yards of the deal?

I am interested in your opinion since you do train a lot and you care about your health and your training progress.
And I respect your point of view.

"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

nickgoldma

Re: Weed

Post by nickgoldma »

I was wondering if someone was gonna make a thread on this!

I am a Massachusetts resident myself, and I personally do not use. As someone who was a vested interest in law enforcement, many people think I have some kind of gripe against marijuana and people who use it. Personally, I don't really care if people use it or not or whether or not it is legalized. I think I can back up the medical side of it more than the self indulging side as I have read some pretty convincing stats, articles, etc that it can help with cancer treatment, Parkinson disease, etc. As for recreational use, I am really not that interested but I won't begrudge anybody who wants to use it. It is pretty harmless (thats been shown a 100x over) unless it gets mixed in with some sort of lethal narcotic. Regardless though, I don't have many problems with it and I think partially that law enforcement in this area will have one less thing to worry about in a sense and will have the opportunity to deal with our opiate epidemic head on. Just my .02.
Get after it!

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

nickgoldma wrote:It is pretty harmless (thats been shown a 100x over) unless it gets mixed in with some sort of lethal narcotic.
But it is addictive, ain't it? And there is a good chance of switching to something heavier once you are habitual smoker...

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

Barkadion wrote:
nickgoldma wrote:It is pretty harmless (thats been shown a 100x over) unless it gets mixed in with some sort of lethal narcotic.
But it is addictive, ain't it? And there is a good chance of switching to something heavier once you are habitual smoker...
I suppose it is addictive, again I don't smoke so I am no expert. As for it being a gateway to something heavier, there is always the possibility.
Get after it!

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

nickgoldma wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
I suppose it is addictive, again I don't smoke so I am no expert. As for it being a gateway to something heavier, there is always the possibility.
May I ask you if your colleagues in LE share your point of view? Just genuinely curious but you don't have to answer..

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

Barkadion wrote:
nickgoldma wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
May I ask you if your colleagues in LE share your point of view? Just genuinely curious but you don't have to answer..
I'm not honestly not sure. I could always and get back to you on that. I do have plans to see a few later. Also, I do not work in law enforcement but I am interested. Just wanted to clarify. Cheers.
Get after it!

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

nickgoldma wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
nickgoldma wrote:
I'm not honestly not sure. I could always and get back to you on that. I do have plans to see a few later. Also, I do not work in law enforcement but I am interested. Just wanted to clarify. Cheers.
Thanks mate. Good to know that you are MA person ;)

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

Barkadion wrote:
nickgoldma wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Thanks mate. Good to know that you are MA person ;)
Us Massachusetts guys have to stick together!

I will keep you on the loop on what they say for sure. That was just my two cents. I personally have no desire to smoke and rather not associate myself with people who do but thats just what I kind of see it.

Stay warm this weekend, mate. Its going to be a bitter as bitter can get.
Get after it!

mtguy1976

Post by mtguy1976 »

Being a LEO, I'll throw in my .2 cents worth. I believe its like any other drug, rather legal or illegal. Some people can handle smoking weed and not have any problems, and for others it ends up being a gateway drug. A friend of mine smoked up almost everyday in college and had no problems. Other people I know that tried it, wanted to try something a little different and it was all down hill for them. I've never used and don't plan on it either. I also don't smoke cigarettes or drink alcohol (never have). Alcoholism and other addictive traits run in my family. I've seen what it does to people and have no interest in it. In my almost 15 years of LE the majority of people I see coming through for domestic violence, fights and accidents is alcohol related. Most of the time when people are high on weed, they usually aren't an issue unless its been mixed with PCP or something else. So I think I answered it by not really answering it. :?
Also, I have an issue with athletes using it for recovery. Your smoking something, its not as bad as a cigarette, but your inhaling burnt particles into your lungs. That can't be good for your stamina.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

mtguy1976 wrote:So I think I answered it by not really answering it. :?
You did :D And I appreciate that.

I think they call it "addictive personality". You can be an alcoholic, but you wouldn't know it unless you try a drink. Same can be applied to almost anything.

I have buried few friends due to either booze or drugs abuse. It is scary what it can do to good people. Especially if one hits his mid 30ies. Well..