Combat Shooting/Technique Resources

The Lounge
Nomad

Re: Combat Shooting/Technique Resources

Post by Nomad »

grouchyjarhead wrote:you can get some ideas out of a book and might be able to pick up a thing or two, but training with a top notch instructor is the best way to develop those skills.
Agreed, I was more looking for material to use for when I'm not on the range, just a little extra on my own time. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely look into them.

GiGis Daddy

Re: Combat Shooting/Technique Resources

Post by GiGis Daddy »

Ageless Athlete has a philosophy quote that says to get good at walking you walk to get good at running you run,probably totally screwed that up but you get the point. You can learn it all from the internet,a few books,and a class. The key to shooting well is perfect practice. Practice the fundamentals, sight picture,trigger pull, trigger reset , not until you get it right but until you can't get it wrong. It is really simple,just not easy.

Dryfire,dryfire,dryfire,dryfire. Did I mention dryfire? Boring! But absolutely a necessity unless someone is buying your ammo and even then you need to dry fire, dry fire slow,dry fire normal speed, dry fire fast.it's firearms use of greasing the groove.

Don Mann's "modern day gunslinger" is good , Todd Green, God rest his soul, has an excellent website pistol-training.com, ,Tom Givens is in Tampa fl, Travis Haley is in phoenix, Ben Stoeger was mentioned before, but to shoot well you need to shoot. Competitive shooting is a good idea. Competition may not be a gunfight but a gunfight is definitely a competition, and the stakes are high. The more you draw,handle and shoot your firearm the better you'll draw,handle and shoot at WHATEVER comes at you,paper,boogeyman or zombie.

Not trying to be a know it all but I too am a shooter, I Edc a firearm and I have thrown money at the next level of classes only to find out I needed to get more practice in the fundamentals because a punch really is a punch and a kick is a kick.

Looks like this has died but here is a clip by GTO that pulls it all together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li0rGtXh23I