Home gym - what to do, best practices etc

The Lounge
Blackmetalbunny

Home gym - what to do, best practices etc

Post by Blackmetalbunny »

For all the guys with home gyms, this question is primarily for you.

Do you have any best practices or guidelines to follow?

I'm thinking of putting together a home gym, and the missus and I have come to a compromise that'll allow me to have it. The only challenge is that I'm in Singapore, where space comes at a premium. I'll be staying in an apartment that's puny (~ 1,000 sq ft) so I'm trying to get all the essentials in, and some more toys that I can get which can be either stored or folded away.

I'm planning to get everything from Rogue, because they're proper quality, and they know their stuff. Shipping will probably cost me 80% of the rig, or almost as much as the entire rig, so getting everything I want in 1 shipping will reduce the per-item / per-kg shipping cost. I would like your opinion about my plans for home gym - if I'm missing anything or if there anything else I can consider.

I'm gonna get the Rogue RML-3WC Fold Back Wall Mount Rack, simply because it can be folded away.

Then I'm gonna get:
  • A dip bar
  • pull-up spheres (the rack already has a pull-up bar)
  • Land mine attachment + handles
  • The SISU or Slater war hammer
  • 16kg, 24kg, 32kg kettlebells (singles)
  • the GHD rack attachment
  • Maybe a loadable dumbbell
As far as I can tell, this will give me basically all the equipment I will need for TB + TB2 conditioning protocols at home, and them some. Anything else you can suggest would be helpful - if I'm gonna be paying for shipping, I might as well get everything I want.

I wanted things like the Safety Squat Bar and the Trap-bar, but these things aren't very space friendly.

On the barbell

Is there any reason I shouldn't use a weightlifting bar for TB? I understand that the whip is the biggest factor impacting the performance of the bar - bending during lifts which make it inefficiently harder to lift.

Barkadion

Re: Home gym - what to do, best practices etc

Post by Barkadion »

Blackmetalbunny wrote:For all the guys with home gyms, this question is primarily for you.

I'm thinking of putting together a home gym, and the missus and I have come to a compromise that'll allow me to have it. The only challenge is that I'm in Singapore, where space comes at a premium. I'll be staying in an apartment that's puny (~ 1,000 sq ft) so I'm trying to get all the essentials in, and some more toys that I can get which can be either stored or folded away.

I'm planning to get everything from Rogue, because they're proper quality, and they know their stuff. Shipping will probably cost me 80% of the rig, or almost as much as the entire rig, so getting everything I want in 1 shipping will reduce the per-item / per-kg shipping cost. I would like your opinion about my plans for home gym - if I'm missing anything or if there anything else I can consider.

I'm gonna get the Rogue RML-3WC Fold Back Wall Mount Rack, simply because it can be folded away.

Then I'm gonna get:
  • A dip bar
As far as I can tell, this will give me basically all the equipment I will need for TB + TB2 conditioning protocols at home, and them some. Anything else you can suggest would be helpful - if I'm gonna be paying for shipping, I might as well get everything I want.

I wanted things like the Safety Squat Bar and the Trap-bar, but these things aren't very space friendly.

On the barbell

Is there any reason I shouldn't use a weightlifting bar for TB? I understand that the whip is the biggest factor impacting the performance of the bar - bending during lifts which make it inefficiently harder to lift.
Good luck with building home gum, BMB! That is a big step! My life has changed completely once I got my own home gym.

Just my personal 2c:

1. I'd get multi-grip pull up bar/crossmember for the shoulder sake. That was game changer for me.
2. I am not a big fun of GHD. So, I've never convinced myself to invest into one. But everyone is different.
3. You might want to consider spud pulley system . Very versatile tool. As well as monster grip triangle attachment that could be used for pullups and landmine as well.
4. I guess you mean oly DB handle by loadabale DB? If so it is great and handy piece of equipment if you have good set of oly plates.
5. Loading pin is another toy that I would consider. Think of heavy swings, DL variations and much more.
6. I'd get 2 barbells. Oly BB for the lifts and cheap one (beater for eaxample) for landmine/not-big3 abuse.
7. All Rogue bars are great. I have never experienced any bending issues but I am not lifting too heavy. Ohio power bar could be good compromise for you if you are not afraid of the aggressive knurling.
8. I'd also get a rings. So many thigs can be done with those..
9. You might need some floor mats unless you hate your downstairs neibors..

Good luck with your home gym project! Keep us posted!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

xfitxm

Post by xfitxm »

Barkadion wrote:
Blackmetalbunny wrote:For all the guys with home gyms, this question is primarily for you.

Then I'm gonna get:
  • A dip bar

On the barbell

Good luck with building home gum, BMB! That is a big step! My life has changed completely once I got my own home gym.

Just my personal 2c:

1. I'd get multi-grip pull up bar/crossmember for the shoulder sake. That was game changer for me.
2. I am not a big fun of GHD. So, I've never convinced myself to invest into one. But everyone is different.
3. You might want to consider spud pulley system . Very versatile tool. As well as monster grip triangle attachment that could be used for pullups and landmine as well.
4. I guess you mean oly DB handle by loadabale DB? If so it is great and handy piece of equipment if you have good set of oly plates.
5. Loading pin is another toy that I would consider. Think of heavy swings, DL variations and much more.
6. I'd get 2 barbells. Oly BB for the lifts and cheap one (beater for eaxample) for landmine/not-big3 abuse.
7. All Rogue bars are great. I have never experienced any bending issues but I am not lifting too heavy. Ohio power bar could be good compromise for you if you are not afraid of the aggressive knurling.
8. I'd also get a rings. So many thigs can be done with those..
9. You might need some floor mats unless you hate your downstairs neibors..

Good luck with your home gym project! Keep us posted!
I would love to buy a Spud pulley, but they are so expensive here in Canada compared to the US

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

xfitxm wrote:I would love to buy a Spud pulley, but they are so expensive here in Canada compared to the US
You might want to read this one:
https://www.reddit.com/r/homegym/commen ... eir_titan/

Scroll down a little to the comment about building DYI pulley similar to Spud one. Are you handy? I am not :?
Good luck!

xfitxm

Post by xfitxm »

Barkadion wrote:
xfitxm wrote:I would love to buy a Spud pulley, but they are so expensive here in Canada compared to the US
You might want to read this one:
https://www.reddit.com/r/homegym/commen ... eir_titan/

Scroll down a little to the comment about building DYI pulley similar to Spud one. Are you handy? I am not :?
Good luck!
Good find.

It's a good idea but I'm not sure it'll be safe if I do it. :lol:

Blackmetalbunny

Post by Blackmetalbunny »

Barkadion wrote:Good luck with building home gum, BMB! That is a big step! My life has changed completely once I got my own home gym.
I can completely understand, I enjoy being in the gym, but I hate the time spent getting there and having to wonder if I'll get a rack, or if I'll end up waiting and waiting for someone else to finish.
Barkadion wrote:I'd get multi-grip pull up bar/crossmember for the shoulder sake. That was game changer for me.
Unless I'm mistaken, the multi-grip cross member can't be attached to the fold-back rack, unless there's something else that was introduced that I did not know about. I wanted that too, but unless it can go on the fold-back rack, that ain't happening :(

Barkadion wrote:I am not a big fun of GHD. So, I've never convinced myself to invest into one. But everyone is different.
I've used it and I really like what it does.
Barkadion wrote:You might want to consider spud pulley system . Very versatile tool.
this is an attachment for lat pulldowns and rows am I right?
Barkadion wrote:I'd get 2 barbells. Oly BB for the lifts and cheap one (beater for eaxample) for landmine/not-big3 abuse.
Wait, this is the exact question I have - isn't it inefficient to use a Oly WL barbell for powerlifting (the bar bending etc). I know it can be used, it just isn't the best option as there'll be bending in the bar (during DL) and bouncing (during squats). Or am I reading too much into how the internet insists a WL bar isn't the best option for PL.

If I do go down this route, I'll probably get the Russian Bar and the Matt Chan bar.
Barkadion wrote:All Rogue bars are great. I have never experienced any bending issues but I am not lifting too heavy.
Not bending damage, but bending due to the weight, causing inefficient power transfer.
Barkadion wrote:I'd also get a rings. So many thigs can be done with those.
Already have a pair of Rogue Rings from my calisthenics days.
Barkadion wrote:You might need some floor mats unless you hate your downstairs neibors
There's a shop in Singapore that sells shock absorbing gym floor mats by pieces (rather than bulk), so I got that covered.
Barkadion wrote:Loading pin is another toy that I would consider. Think of heavy swings, DL variations and much more.
Eh, doesn't it say not to use it for swings?
Barkadion wrote:Good luck with your home gym project! Keep us posted!
It's still in the planning stages, I can't get big toys like a Concept 2 Rower, full power cage, jammer attachments, trap bar etc, so it'll all be about space efficiency and storage. I'll post pictures once done.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Blackmetalbunny wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, the multi-grip cross member can't be attached to the fold-back rack, unless there's something else that was introduced that I did not know about. I wanted that too, but unless it can go on the fold-back rack, that ain't happening :(
Hmmm... my understanding was that it should fit between any 3x3s that are 43" apart. But I might be wrong, though.. Well you can always use dip bars for the pull ups. I have done that in the past :D
Blackmetalbunny wrote:this is an attachment for lat pulldowns and rows am I right?
Yes. But think about it as a cable system. You shoulders can get a lot of love.
Blackmetalbunny wrote: Wait, this is the exact question I have - isn't it inefficient to use a Oly WL barbell for powerlifting (the bar bending etc). I know it can be used, it just isn't the best option as there'll be bending in the bar (during DL) and bouncing (during squats). Or am I reading too much into how the internet insists a WL bar isn't the best option for PL. If I do go down this route, I'll probably get the Russian Bar and the Matt Chan bar.
I don't think you will get any issues with bar bouncing or bending with power-lifting lifts unless you go super heavy, imho. In fact I love the feel of using oly bar for DL. On the other hand I love to use "thick" bars (beater and power) for any pressing movements. But that's me.. I am not familiar with Russian bar but Chan bar is awesome.
Blackmetalbunny wrote:Not bending damage, but bending due to the weight, causing inefficient power transfer.
I understand. I have never experienced that.. I doubt you run into it..
Blackmetalbunny wrote:Eh, doesn't it say not to use it for swings?
Wow... you are right.. I've missed that one.. I have this pin that is designed for the swings. So, my assumption was that Rogue pin is similar to that.. http://www.blackwidowtg.com/product_p/thandle.htm
Blackmetalbunny wrote:It's still in the planning stages, I can't get big toys like a Concept 2 Rower, full power cage, jammer attachments, trap bar etc, so it'll all be about space efficiency and storage. I'll post pictures once done.
C2 can be broken into two pieces and it is easy to store as far as I know (I don't have on though).

Trap bar and SSB are not small but great tools.. SSB and trap bar really saved my back, shoulder, and hip at some point. I'd still think about that.. Having safe training tool for a life is very good investment.. imho again ;)

Are you getting Rogue bench? I love it. I have flat simple one and it is a tank! Also, it is one piece - no assemble required. You can put in on two boxes and use it for great seal rows.

Please, post pics :D

Nick

Post by Nick »

I love my home gym. I've done mine on the cheap, and it has everything I want or need. I built my "squat rack" about 6 years ago by bolting several 2x4s at different heights (my squat height, the frau's squat height,and bench press height) together and then sticking them into a five gallon bucket. Then I put quick drying cement into the buckets. It's worked great for more than half a decade now.

I have a doorway pull-up bar from bed-bath-beyond.

I bought my bar and 300lbs of weights new from Sears, and bought another set of 45lbs plates as I "grew into them".

Most expensive were my 35 and 50 lbs kettle bells, but Santa brought those.

Also a few jump ropes.

Oh, and the American and Gadsden ("don't tread on me") flags
The wind calls your name; get out of your bed.

travman

Post by travman »

My best practices/b]: I have a smaller apartment than you, around 800 square feet (space is at a premium where I live as well.) The things that went through my mind when researching for my home gym. (I spent at least a couple of hours a day for about 2 months reading reviews and strategizing my space.): 1) cost, BUT buy once cry once. 2) I want to be able to add to my home gym and not replace everything in a short amount of time. 3) Keep it simple since space is tight and you don't need much to get into shape.

My purchase: I bought the Rogue SML-2 90" with the regular pull-up bar, safety spotter arms, and plate pins. In addition to the rack and accessories I purchased a Vulcan One Basic Olympic Barbell and 340 pounds of bumpers last September. The SML-2 I bought because in the future I will have a garage gym and the SML-2 can convert into the Monster Lite Flat Foot Squat Rack. I went with bumpers instead of steel plates to limit my noise. The bumpers are silent when I am moving on the barbell and minimal noise is made when racking the bar into the rack. You can do with the Rogue bumpers, you will need to leave them in the outside for a bit to let the rubber smell dissipate.

1) I do want a the matador as well. (if you want to save money and space you could just use your rings to do dips)
2) Ross Training has a DIY for Softball spheres for pull-ups. http://rosstraining.com/blog/2010/04/09 ... -pull-ups/
3) No experience using the landmine and handles, however it sounds like another barbell to take up more space and money that could be spent on something else.
4) I have no experience with the either hammer from Rogue, just a regular sledge hammer.
5) The KBs are pricey but they are worth it. I have only bought my bells on discount to save some money.
6) GHD rack attachment, no experience there.
7) Loadable dumbbells would be nice, they don't take up a bunch of space but are still pricy for $135.

On my barbell I purchased the Basic barbell as it is an all-around barbell. I already want a powerlifting barbell due to the very light knurling and spin (limited) found in the One Basic Olympic Barbell. I would say if you are doing olympic lifts then get WL bar, if not go for the PL bar. I have not found any issues with my barbell as you have mentioned in the OP.

One last thing, I have built a small "platform" to squat on instead of carpet. I bought 6 pieces of 4ft x 2ft 3/4 inch plywood because the sheets of plywood wouldn't fit in my car nor did my wife want to be tripping over the large sheets of plywood in the middle of our dining room. You can't go wrong with Rogue, their quality is unbelievable, their customer service is great, and shipping arrived early! I tired to upload a picture of my home gym but the file was too large.

Martin Joe

Post by Martin Joe »

Hi, Blackmetalbunny
Congrats on building your new home gym.. many good things is yet to come.

Here's a different approach..
1) set a long term goal (1 year) and one og two short term goals (4+ months). About goal setting - be specific and use S.M.A.R.T.
2) Find out what you exactly need to reach those goals and go get it. DIY or buy it - your call.
The less equipment you get the less likely it will turn out that you quit your goal(s) and start training in another direction just to get caught up getting nowhere because of changing direction. K. Black has discussed exactly that in his great books TB1 and TB2
3) Choose template and cluster in order to reach your goal(s)
4) start lifting, running, pulling or whatever.

I recommend that you focus on body weight max strength before moving to lifting heavy weights. This will give you a good understanding of how your body works, CYBORG core strength, and great mobility .. plus the need for space when doing pistols and One Arm push-ups is a minimum (about 2 square feet if you are a typical Tier 1 operator or less 8-)

Have a good one!
/Martin Joe
Operator's Lab
Blackmetalbunny wrote:

Then I'm gonna get:
  • A dip bar

On the barbell

Is there any reason I shouldn't use a weightlifting bar for TB?..