Board games

The Lounge
Blackmetalbunny

Board games

Post by Blackmetalbunny »

Hey guys, how many of you here play board games? Are there any in particular you'd like or are playing now?

Green2Blue

Re: Board games

Post by Green2Blue »

Does D&D count?

Blackmetalbunny

Sure why not, I'm curious what social interaction games people play, that doesn't entail playing / poker cards.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Blackmetalbunny wrote:Hey guys, how many of you here play board games? Are there any in particular you'd like or are playing now?
I've been collecting strategy/war board games since I was a kid. Right now about my favorite game to play is Twilight Struggle (Cold War) and Paths of Glory (WWI). I love both of those games. I'm also a big fan of the Napoleonic 20 series from Victory Point Games.

My kids and I have been playing a really fun little game called Tsuro.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

I play a variety of games with my kids, mostly the old classics like Clue, Life, Trouble, Sorry, and Aggravation.

For hanging out with adults, two games that are fun for a group are Cards Against Humanity (if you prefer ridiculous humor) and my favorite is a card game known as Coup. I got turned onto this by some guys I served with, it's still a fairly new card game but it's a lot of fun if you like bluffing type games.

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

Blackmetalbunny wrote:Hey guys, how many of you here play board games? Are there any in particular you'd like or are playing now?
Catan

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Does anyone play Dominion? It's a Medieval fantasy card game. My kids and I got hooked on it this winter!

I'm revealing my true geekiness now.

Blackmetalbunny

I'm trying players for some really in-depth games like New Angeles and Chaos in the Old World. I find it a little hard to get people into board games with heavy fiction backgrounds.

I have some games like Ticket to Ride and Acquire which people more readily get into simply because they don't feel wary of the subject matter.

I have heard of Coup, Dominion and Twilight Struggle.... I like the idea of Twilight Struggle, but the cold war theme isn't my cup of tea. Dominion neither. Coup... I've only just learnt of it a few weeks back, no impressions thus far.

So here's a deeper question, what do you look for in a board game? If you had a fun board game with good mechanics idea, would the theme still be a key deciding factor? Or can you over look the theme so long as the game is fun?

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Blackmetalbunny wrote:I like the idea of Twilight Struggle, but the cold war theme isn't my cup of tea. Dominion neither. Coup... I've only just learnt of it a few weeks back, no impressions thus far.
If you like the Twilight Struggle mechanic, but the Cold War doesn't move you, you might check out GMT's Labyrinth, which is built on the same basic machines as TS, but it's a War on Terror theme.

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

Blackmetalbunny wrote:I'm trying players for some really in-depth games like New Angeles and Chaos in the Old World. I find it a little hard to get people into board games with heavy fiction backgrounds.

I have some games like Ticket to Ride and Acquire which people more readily get into simply because they don't feel wary of the subject matter.

I have heard of Coup, Dominion and Twilight Struggle.... I like the idea of Twilight Struggle, but the cold war theme isn't my cup of tea. Dominion neither. Coup... I've only just learnt of it a few weeks back, no impressions thus far.

So here's a deeper question, what do you look for in a board game? If you had a fun board game with good mechanics idea, would the theme still be a key deciding factor? Or can you over look the theme so long as the game is fun?

I've found Catan to be neutral enough in the geekdom, yet deep enough in strategy and learning curve to allow different people of all groups to really enjoy it. http://www.catan.com/