Maybe I Should Just Do Yoga

The Lounge
spemma

Maybe I Should Just Do Yoga

Post by spemma »

sometimes i contemplate my fitness routine and wonder whether what i'm doing is really good/healthy for me. my shoulders hurt if i don't do an extensive warm-up before benching, i tweaked my back from squatting, i can't touch my toes due to inflexibility.

at the same time, i like the strength i have and the physical changes that come with it. but sometimes i wonder if should even bother lifting anymore.

and i'm like, well maybe i should just fold in a mobility and stretching routine everyday. but my days are already packed full, with not much room for a daily 20-30 minute stretching/mobility routine layered on. or perhaps i'm being too myopic in how i view it.

so i wonder, maybe i should just cut this all and do yoga and bodyweight stuff with some running sprinkled in.

anyway....bit of a whining rant here after a long week last week, but perhaps the main question is - what do you guys do to help keep your body in good working order?

Barkadion

Re: Maybe I Should Just Do Yoga

Post by Barkadion »

I highly recommend Astanga short forms by Devid Swenson. Saved me few times.

https://www.amazon.com/SHORT-FORMS-Prac ... hort+forms

As for your main question.. For me personally.. It is the way of living that I choose. To train. To be in training. I don't believe in motivation anymore. Dedication, however, is different animal. So, I dedicate myself to it and I live with it.

On a side note.. I believe also in addiction to the training. And I can admit that I am addicted to it at some degree. But you can also work with your mind to change your consciousness and transform your addiction into positive happy state of your mind/being. (=mediation).

Just my 2c..
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

I usually end my day with a ROMWOD session for this reason. It's important and I feel it helps me sleep better. I know when I miss a day or two because my body feels it. Make the time for it.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

I like ROMWOD as well. I feel amazing afterwards.

spemma

Post by spemma »

thanks everyone for the suggestions.

do you guys subscribe to ROMWOD, or is there a free option?

godjira1

Post by godjira1 »

I discovered the Original Strength Resets a while back and it did wonders for me. I use them as warmups, cooldowns or just to keep moving between sets of weights. YMMV of course but no harm giving it a shot - u can get the exercises off youtube.
It ain't what you don’t know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain’t so.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

godjira1 wrote:I discovered the Original Strength Resets a while back and it did wonders for me. I use them as warmups, cooldowns or just to keep moving between sets of weights. YMMV of course but no harm giving it a shot - u can get the exercises off youtube.
I use a lot of the OS resets as part of my warm-up. Crawls, rolls, rocks, bobs, and cross crawls primarily.

alottadav

Post by alottadav »

grouchyjarhead wrote:
godjira1 wrote:I discovered the Original Strength Resets a while back and it did wonders for me. I use them as warmups, cooldowns or just to keep moving between sets of weights. YMMV of course but no harm giving it a shot - u can get the exercises off youtube.
I use a lot of the OS resets as part of my warm-up. Crawls, rolls, rocks, bobs, and cross crawls primarily.

Read this today, binged his youtube for a bit.

Found myself using the crawls etc to warm up. duck walks, bear crawls, worlds greatest stretch crawls between squats were AMAZING. thanks for this

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Some of the best stuff I started doing for myself. Warming up, mobility, and corrective work all in one.

Ibrahimovic105

Post by Ibrahimovic105 »

I did SuryaNamaskars or Hindu pushups and it vastly helped me with the flexibility and mobility stuff.In the beginning i had problem fully extending the calfs,hams,lower back,abs.....this exercises fixes the whole body!