Post by Barkadion »

"Just remember, once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed."

- Arthur Schopenhauer
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

DocOctagon

Re: Favorite Quotes & Excerpts?

Post by DocOctagon »

Svenjolly wrote:
Fedaykin wrote:I'm a huge Dune geek as some of you might be able to tell. Frank Herbert was a genius:

“Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: 'Now, it's complete because it's ended here.'

Now tell me if this doesn't bring TB to mind.
Miles ahead of Tolkien when it comes to world building, in my opinion. I read a review once that put it like this (I'm paraphrasing):

Dune was a book written in the 60s(?) about the desert dwelling primitive Fremen that supplied the empire with the fuel that was essential to the galactic economy (spice melange). They're inspired to rise up against the corrupt, degenerate (yet ultra sophisticated) galactic empire by a charismatic former rich kid (and foreigner to boot). The Fremen are tough, uncompromising fighters that don't shy away from the occasional suicide bombing.

Prophetic, no? Imagine if that was written today.
Don't forget one of the most well known Dune quotes of all time,

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer...."

Caleddin

Post by Caleddin »

My favorite quote from TB is "The carrots ain't making you fat." It really sums up the problem with micro-management and getting lost in the minutiae rather than just getting the show on the road.

I think the whole line is "The carrots ain't making you fat. We've all been there. Stop it." Just enough humor while plainly telling you to stop trying to cheat your way to a solution, which I think sums up the TB books wonderfully.

Karak

Post by Karak »

Caleddin wrote:My favorite quote from TB is "The carrots ain't making you fat." It really sums up the problem with micro-management and getting lost in the minutiae rather than just getting the show on the road.

I think the whole line is "The carrots ain't making you fat. We've all been there. Stop it." Just enough humor while plainly telling you to stop trying to cheat your way to a solution, which I think sums up the TB books wonderfully.
Good call, forgot about this one.

TangoZero

Post by TangoZero »

"Too much is the same as not enough"

Musashi via TB2....some of us need to be hit over the head with this one on occasion..

Blackmetalbunny

Post by Blackmetalbunny »

TangoZero wrote:...some of us need to be hit over the head with this one on occasion..
Sometimes it is hard to tell what is just enough, especially when you're in the groove and really feeling the session.

Last night, I hit my usual Operator set - SQ/BP/PU. I was feeling particularly good and decided to try a new exercise I've been eyeing for a while - a snatch high pull. That was a bad move.

Had a bad night, and this morning my hamstrings are crying in agony, and all I did were a few sets of triples.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

I am a big fan of Stoicism. The Stoics had some fantastic quotes. Here's a few of my favorites from Epictetus. The last one is particularly relevant to the TB philosophy.

"First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do."

"Suffering arises from trying to control what is uncontrollable, or from neglecting what is within our power."

"Not every difficult and dangerous thing is suitable for training, but only that which is conducive to success in achieving the object of our effort."

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

"What kind of people do you hate the most?"
"People who don't ask questions. There are out there... the Sure Ones."

- Strugatsky Brothers ("Space Apprentices")

K.B.
Site Admin

Post by K.B. »

grouchyjarhead wrote:I am a big fan of Stoicism. The Stoics had some fantastic quotes. Here's a few of my favorites from Epictetus. The last one is particularly relevant to the TB philosophy.

"First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do."

"Suffering arises from trying to control what is uncontrollable, or from neglecting what is within our power."

"Not every difficult and dangerous thing is suitable for training, but only that which is conducive to success in achieving the object of our effort."
Too funny. Me and J-Madd were discussing stoicism at length the day before this post. I've been hearing good things about 'Letters from a Stoic', which is now on my ever-lengthening reading list.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Progress comes to those who train and train; reliance on secret techniques will get you nowhere.

- Morihei Ueshiba