Favorite Quotes & Excerpts?

The Lounge
BubbaFat

Re: Favorite Quotes & Excerpts?

Post by BubbaFat »

Blackmetalbunny wrote: "The goal is to keep the goal, the goal! Focus on it, don’t get caught up in a bunch of other things." -
Nails it.

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Post by Train_Hard_Live_Easy »

One of my favourites, and is in fact in my signature box

"what was hard to do is sweet to remember" Seneca Heracles.

And one that I have written on the whiteboard at the training centre and have read over and over again, especially if the session is gruelling is from a young lass in the UK, Sophie Radcliffe. Endurance athlete and adventurer

"One day I will not be able to do this....... Today is NOT that day"
@challengesophie on Instagram if you are on there
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.
"What was hard to do, is sweet to remember" Seneca.

MaxCab

Post by MaxCab »

Train_Hard_Live_Easy wrote:
"what was hard to do is sweet to remember" Seneca Heracles.
Good one.

This one from TB1 "The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue" Napoleon.

Looks like good ole' Napoleon knew a thing or two about soldiering!

Aelian

Post by Aelian »

So anytime anyone asks me about selection or how to physically prepare for it, I paraphrase this as a sort of disclaimer. From TBII:

Everyone comes to selection with prior skills and training.
Private Jones might be an extremely fit runner, used to doing marathon and such
in his off time. Private Smith might be able to pump out push-ups for days because
he spends a lot of time in the gym. So just because Jones can run or Smith can do
hundreds of push-ups with ease, does that mean they’re unit material? Not necessarily. An important quality is how a candidate performs when he’s brought to his
personal breaking point, or past it. If it were as simple as using the best runners or
strongest athletes, there would be very little need for selection.

Really sums it. The paragraphs that come after it in the book are just as good or even better, but this one sticks for me.

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

Everybody counts or nobody counts - Harry Bosch

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

“Life—the way it really is—is a battle not between good and bad, but between bad and worse”
― Joseph Brodsky
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

Barkadion wrote:“Life—the way it really is—is a battle not between good and bad, but between bad and worse”
― Joseph Brodsky
I've never heard life summed up so well

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

"If there's one thing you can say about mankind, there's nothing kind about man."
- Tom Waits
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Fedaykin

Post by Fedaykin »

I'm a huge Dune geek as some of you might be able to tell. Frank Herbert was a genius:

“Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: 'Now, it's complete because it's ended here.'

Now tell me if this doesn't bring TB to mind.

Svenjolly

Post by Svenjolly »

Fedaykin wrote:I'm a huge Dune geek as some of you might be able to tell. Frank Herbert was a genius:

“Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: 'Now, it's complete because it's ended here.'

Now tell me if this doesn't bring TB to mind.
Miles ahead of Tolkien when it comes to world building, in my opinion. I read a review once that put it like this (I'm paraphrasing):

Dune was a book written in the 60s(?) about the desert dwelling primitive Fremen that supplied the empire with the fuel that was essential to the galactic economy (spice melange). They're inspired to rise up against the corrupt, degenerate (yet ultra sophisticated) galactic empire by a charismatic former rich kid (and foreigner to boot). The Fremen are tough, uncompromising fighters that don't shy away from the occasional suicide bombing.

Prophetic, no? Imagine if that was written today.