Re: After 40 club

Post by Barkadion »

"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

Barkadion wrote:Great insight from Ross:

http://rosstraining.com/blog/2019/01/19 ... y-forties/
One thing I'm still working on is losing the ego, esp. on lifting numbers. But otoh, part of starting TB for me was giving up on the chase for powerlifting PRs.

43 here.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Never give up. Even at 92 y.o.!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beYt-nx ... e=youtu.be

"Giuseppe Moioli, the myth made person. Moioli at 92 years old, after 2 hours on the catamaran to train the boys of moto guzzi, lesson on the rowing with 10 minutes of activity, after being operated recently even on the hip."

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

68 year old gymnast still going strong!

https://www.facebook.com/Extreme/videos ... 370575816/

Aiwacht

Post by Aiwacht »

I'm in the post-40 club, at 52. I used to thing this was old, but it doesn't feel like it!

How it looks depends on the lighting, mainly.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

ronin

Post by ronin »

47 in october a 40+ club is a great plan. Im happy I found this program/forum its somethig I can stick to long term.
I would love to see how people program mobility and stretch ing.
I did gymnasticbodies.com for 2 months it was great for mobility and flexibility but got a bit boring. Think some period every year should be focused strongly on mobility .
Looking forward to others wiev on this

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

Well, my approach to stretching and mobility is to completely ignore it. But for sure, when you feel something starting to tear in a muscle or joint, you should definitely back off a few days. Health first!

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

It is always hard to gauge the results of a program in isolation after just a couple blocks. It gets harder yet the older we get, or the longer we have been lifting. One thing I was taught to do was to summarize the basic data from each cycle completed for later analysis. I recently reviewed this for the last few years. Some caveats before trying to project from my analysis. One, all my lifting in the analysis, all my lifting using TB programs, has been as an age 55-59 class lifter. My experience is that the difference between lifting in that age class is more different from that of a 40-44 class lifter, than a 40-44 class lifter is from an under 30 lifter. So while you may be in the over 40 club, this may not translate to you. Two, before I ever tried any TB programs, I had 30 years of doing squats and deadlifts and the like heavy, so improvements can be hard to detect.

Anyway, over the last few years I have tried a multiple of programs intended for the over 40 club, even if not called that way. Also a bunch of TB. And a few programs that in retrospect were probably a bit stupid for me to try. But cutting to the chase, this is what worked best for me. When I say the best, I mean that (in retrospect) they gave the most certain, consistent results. In that respect they are the most proven (for me), out of all the programs tried.

For strength - TB Zulu I/A as given in the 2nd edition. I have not yet tried the most current version as given in the 3rd edition. If KB found it an improvement for his clients, it may be better yet. Zulu I/A has worked better for me than every variation of Operator I have tried. In addition my joints felt fresher with this.

For mass - Gladiator from the Mass Protocol book. This worked better for me than the Mass template that showed up in the 2nd edition of TB and Grey Man from the Mass Protocol book.

For conditioning - it was a non-TB program and really the reason it gave the best results on conditioning was that I only lifted twice per week and so did more conditioning. Honestly I don't think I have enough data to really judge this one.

Anyway, that's my experience, hope more over 40 club members will offer their experiences.