Alternative Base Build Results (Simple and sinister + Fighter Pullup Program + LSD)

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Maxrip13

Alternative Base Build Results (Simple and sinister + Fighter Pullup Program + LSD)

Post by Maxrip13 »

Hey everyone,

Just completed my alternative base build and wanted to share the amazing results I have had.

Back ground on me is that I am ex military (logistics) and now a current LEO.
I recently realized it had been over a year since I had done a base build.I had moved away from tactical barbell and followed some other training programs with the occasional return to tactical barbell fighter.

I chose to do an alternative base build.After being in the army and with my injuries I am not the biggest fan of high rep calisthenics for training.

The program I initially chose to do was S&S + Fighter Pullup program and LSD runs. I started doing these daily and stuck to that for approximately the first 3 weeks. Then due to work I started to alternate running and SE work, with the goal to get in a minimum of 3 each week.

I also had work interfering and throwing in HIC type sessions, which affected my recovery, but I was able to still hit my minimums and have some excellent improvements.

My results are as follows:

Pullups
Previous max was 15 reps. I went with a conservative max of 10 reps.
Final result was 20 reps

My previous all time PR was 16 reps and I am now 10 kg heavier.

Kettlebell Swings
Started with 5x10, 2 handed swings with a 24 kg Kettlebell
Finished with the Simple goal from S&S with the 32 kg bell. 10l,10r 1 Handed Swings for 5 sets. 100 Reps total.

Turkish Getups
Started by alternating between a 16kg and 24 kg Kettlebell for a total of 5 sets of 2.
Finished with the 32kg across all sets and being able to finish in well under the 10 min time limit.

LSD Runs
I didn't really push these too hard but I was able to complete a 60 min run with minimal issues. I was also able to run approximately 6 km a day at a decent pace whilst also doing a second session. One thing I found was it was easier to run more frequently than to run every second day like I had to due to work later. I didn't do any faster runs for most of the cycle, but I was able to maintain my 5km time from previously and I definitely believe with a little shorter distance interval work, I will improve my runs times in the future.

Unexpected results of this base build;

I weighed 78 kg at the start of this base build.I weigh 78 kg at the end of this base build.
What I neglect to mention is my bodyfat has gone from 16% to 10-11% , while eating anything I want. This is on a fit bit scale so not entirely accurate, but it gives a rough idea.

I put this down to the swings, getups and most of all the fighter pullup program. Forget curls and tricep pushdowns, that pullup progression is a bodybuilders dream. I was hesitant at the start because I thought the volume was to low for endurance, but something about it works. Everytime those last 2-3 reps of each set are borderline to failure and this progression will change your body composition for the better.I have reached an all time PR and I am also able to do more high rep sets than ever before.

Overall I am extremely happy with the results and plan to use this when I want a break from the barbells. It would be a perfect progression for green protocol if you pushed the runs a bit harder.I strongly recommend this option for anyone who wants to do a base build, but also maintain strength. I have improved my aerobic base, strength and muscular endurance and had an absolute ball doing it.

I am definitely keen to roll back into black + operator in a week or two. Feel free to ask any questions if you need any clarification. I have a tendency to type this sort of thing post workout or whilst multi tasking and it can read a little confusing.

Barkadion

Re: Alternative Base Build Results (Simple and sinister + Fighter Pullup Program + LSD)

Post by Barkadion »

Awesome! Great results!

Just to clarify.. you trained twice a day (runs/S&S, fighter) for the first 3 weeks and then once a day alternating runs and strength for the rest of the cycle. Did I get that right?
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

grouchyjarhead

Re: Alternative Base Build Results (Simple and sinister + Fighter Pullup Program + LSD)

Post by grouchyjarhead »

This is basically identical to what I'm doing now (though due to a recent flare up of my disc, I had to put on hiatus for a few weeks). I've been having good results with it too. Plus, it's fun.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Barkadion wrote:Awesome! Great results!

Just to clarify.. you trained twice a day (runs/S&S, fighter) for the first 3 weeks and then once a day alternating runs and strength for the rest of the cycle. Did I get that right?
Yes pretty much. For the first 3 weeks I would do my run in one session and do S&S +pullups in the other. I occasionally would do both back to back if I had to because of work. When I was able to do the two separate sessions I felt I had the best results and could really focus on whatever I was doing.

I went back on shift work and wasn't able to maintain the schedule. I then made sure I got the minimum of 3 LSD and 3x SE sessions in a week.

My best results were with the daily running and SE. I started to get in a real groove and my training just felt effortless. When alternating days the first set always felt like a bit of a struggle until my body was ready to do the work.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

grouchyjarhead wrote:This is basically identical to what I'm doing now (though due to a recent flare up of my disc, I had to put on hiatus for a few weeks). I've been having good results with it too. Plus, it's fun.
I definitely agree on the fun part. Sad to see that your back has flared up. I have a big history of back and other injuries.
I found that lighter getups were causing me some back issues. I seem to use better technique with heavier weights and most pain went away.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Maxrip13 wrote:
Barkadion wrote:Awesome! Great results!

Yes pretty much. For the first 3 weeks I would do my run in one session and do S&S +pullups in the other. I occasionally would do both back to back if I had to because of work. When I was able to do the two separate sessions I felt I had the best results and could really focus on whatever I was doing.

I went back on shift work and wasn't able to maintain the schedule. I then made sure I got the minimum of 3 LSD and 3x SE sessions in a week.

My best results were with the daily running and SE. I started to get in a real groove and my training just felt effortless. When alternating days the first set always felt like a bit of a struggle until my body was ready to do the work.
Thanks mate!

Gerryatric

Post by Gerryatric »

Thanks for this after a few false starts I will give your plan a go in the new year

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Gerryatric wrote:Thanks for this after a few false starts I will give your plan a go in the new year
It really was one of the best mesocycles I have ever done, but those pullups were really becoming hard to finish with good form. I will definitely be revisiting it in the future. To finally hit that goal of 20 pullups was a good feeling and it's really upped my work capacity which is the entire goal of a base build anyway.

I plan on using similar for green after some time with regular barbell squats and some heavy weighted pullups.

alottadav

Post by alottadav »

Maxrip13 wrote:
Gerryatric wrote:Thanks for this after a few false starts I will give your plan a go in the new year
It really was one of the best mesocycles I have ever done, but those pullups were really becoming hard to finish with good form. I will definitely be revisiting it in the future. To finally hit that goal of 20 pullups was a good feeling and it's really upped my work capacity which is the entire goal of a base build anyway.

I plan on using similar for green after some time with regular barbell squats and some heavy weighted pullups.

This Fighter Pullup program is the one that looks like this.....
5,4,3,3,2 .......yes?

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

alottadav wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:

This Fighter Pullup program is the one that looks like this.....
5,4,3,3,2 .......yes?
something like that..

https://www.strongfirst.com/the-fighter ... revisited/