Improved TB Spreadsheet

MxS/SE/HIC/E
yoda

Improved TB Spreadsheet

Post by yoda »

Hey TBers. I have recently made a few adjustments to the speadsheet contained in the sidebar on Reddit that I thought you guys might get some use from.

When I work out 4am each day my brain is a bit fried which means I struggle rounding the weights for the day to the nearest possible increment. I'm changed the spreadsheet so that it now rounds all of the weights to the nearest increment of your choosing.

For instance, I have 1.25kg plates for my barbell which means I can increase the weight by 2.5kg at a time (1.25kg each side). The spreadsheet now figures this out for you. Just add the smallest weight increment you can jump by and it will figure it out.

I also wasn't too happy with the 1RM calculation the spreadsheet was using. For example I would put in 100kg as my 1RM and the spreadsheet then rounded that to 103kg. I've implemented the Brzycki 1RM equation which I like a bit more.

Let me know if there are any further improvements you think that can be made.

EDIT: Had an issue with the spreadsheet pointed out by a Reddit user. The new spreadsheet is here: https://mega.nz/#!klRyVCRC!We7PeUha4pGo ... -cWBu49Zl0

K.B.
Site Admin

Re: Improved TB Spreadsheet

Post by K.B. »

Thanks for posting this Yoda, looks great!

Aelian

Post by Aelian »

This is awesome, many thanks!

BlackPyjamas

Post by BlackPyjamas »

Cheers brother, much appreciated.

yoda

Post by yoda »

No worries guys!

If you have any ideas about what could improve the spreadsheet for you, just let me know and i'll see if I can incorporate it.

anj4748

Post by anj4748 »

Thanks Yoda for the spreadsheet. I made a few tweaks that I'll run through, let me know your thoughts.

All of the lifts/movements you want to enter in are done on the "Entry Tab". Only cells in blue should have something typed in them. You can enter in your lift, the weight you lifted, and the number of reps in columns B/C/D and in column E your 1RM will calculate. For your weight calculations, you can also type in how you want it to round in cell I5. You can toggle if you want your calculations done based off a true max or a training max (90% of true max). Any cells in green have a drop down menu. On all of the other tabs, you simply select the lifts you want from the drop down menus in green, and it will pull from the "Entry Tab" and lay out your percentages. You don't have to retype in any weights on the different program tabs. The drop down menu will allow any selection you've entered in the blue cells B5:B16 on the "Entry Tab".

Like Yoda said, if there are any additional changes people think of let me know or post the changes you've made. I love this program and wish everyone happy lifting!
Last edited by anj4748 on Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Walrus Freud

Post by Walrus Freud »

Thanks for the spreadsheet, I use it (Yoda's version) and love it. I find the improvements useful as well, especially the option of using a training max. For some reason, however, the weights that carry over to the templates (Zulu in my case) aren't the rounded ones. For instance, on the entry tab, my rounded 70% weight for the weighted pull up is 92.5, but on the Zulu tab it is 93. Not a big deal, as it's easy to do the rounding myself, and it may very well be due to a mistake on my part...
"Some days you shine, most days you grind" (from a friend, who probably stole it from someone else :) )

eXpo

Post by eXpo »

This is great, thanks man!

One thing I have noticed with the spreadsheet and specifically the advice about how to use it with a training max...
"This does not factor in a training max; if that is what you need, remove 10% prior to putting in your weight lifted."
This would be true if you were entering your absolute true one rep max weight. However I imagine most of us only get high enough to test with 2-3 reps, sometimes even 4-5. So does this mean that this is inaccurate? As its basing your training max on what weight you used to test and not your actual one rep max.

I've had a look and its only off by a few kilos however just wondering what other peoples thoughts are? Will it even make a difference?

Cheers

anj4748

Post by anj4748 »

Walrus Freud wrote:Thanks for the spreadsheet, I use it (Yoda's version) and love it. I find the improvements useful as well, especially the option of using a training max. For some reason, however, the weights that carry over to the templates (Zulu in my case) aren't the rounded ones. For instance, on the entry tab, my rounded 70% weight for the weighted pull up is 92.5, but on the Zulu tab it is 93. Not a big deal, as it's easy to do the rounding myself, and it may very well be due to a mistake on my part...
Good catch, I never noticed because I calculate everything in pounds instead of kilos and round to the nearest 5. It's pulling through correctly to the tabs, you can adjust the view on the "Home" tab --> Number --> and click the "Increase Decimal" button to show that additional decimal in the cell.

anj4748

Post by anj4748 »

eXpo wrote:This is great, thanks man!

One thing I have noticed with the spreadsheet and specifically the advice about how to use it with a training max...
"This does not factor in a training max; if that is what you need, remove 10% prior to putting in your weight lifted."
This would be true if you were entering your absolute true one rep max weight. However I imagine most of us only get high enough to test with 2-3 reps, sometimes even 4-5. So does this mean that this is inaccurate? As its basing your training max on what weight you used to test and not your actual one rep max.

I've had a look and its only off by a few kilos however just wondering what other peoples thoughts are? Will it even make a difference?

Cheers
The way I put together the formula, it's just taking whatever your calculated 1RM based on the Brzycki 1RM equation is and taking 90% of it. The amount you're entering in row C on the "Entry Tab" is always the amount you actually lifted, not adjusting it. E.g. if you benched 225 for 5, you enter the 225 (not 90% of it) and the 5 reps and your calculated max with the "True Max" drop down is 253 and with the "training max" is 90% of that, 228. I've always calculated it this way when I've used this and other programs (5/3/1), is this consistent with how other folks are using the training max?