PFT Tips Thread

MxS/SE/HIC/E
TangoZero

Re: PFT Tips Thread

Post by TangoZero »

Use HIC#20 "Anaerobic Capacity"

It blows my mind that more people aren't doing #20 for speed. Imo it's probably one of the best (if not THE best) speed workout for improving the Coopers, 1.5, and 3 mile.

spemma

Post by spemma »

Thanks for bringing to my attention, that is a good one. Point of clarification, does the Coopers include the 300m sprint?

TangoZero

Post by TangoZero »

The Cooper's is a test of how far you can run in 12 minutes.

Ten8

Post by Ten8 »

This from PPLE or TB2, worth bringing attention to:

Stop all training 3-4 days out. You're not going to improve within that time frame, your training is all behind you at this point. Take the time to recover and allow the adaptations from your training to take effect. Walking and stretching is okay.

Canterbury

Post by Canterbury »

Not a tactical athlete but I do know a thing or two about running. 1.5 and 3 mile distances are primarily aerobic. You need a base of long easy miles. Those that have an existing aerobic base can spend more time on speed work, those that don't -- shouldn't. The classic 80/20 split (long easy miles/speed work) applies. If it takes you 25 minutes or longer to run 3 miles, your aerobic base isn't as good as it could be. Don't neglect speed work completely, but do more more work in the "Green" zone, skew your training ratio toward long easy miles.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Canterbury wrote:Not a tactical athlete but I do know a thing or two about running. 1.5 and 3 mile distances are primarily aerobic. You need a base of long easy miles. Those that have an existing aerobic base can spend more time on speed work, those that don't -- shouldn't. The classic 80/20 split (long easy miles/speed work) applies. If it takes you 25 minutes or longer to run 3 miles, your aerobic base isn't as good as it could be. Don't neglect speed work completely, but do more more work in the "Green" zone, skew your training ratio toward long easy miles.
Canterbury, do you mean maxing out race pace when you talking about 3 miles? Or Fast5 pace which is pushing yourself enough to stay out comfort zone?
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Canterbury

Post by Canterbury »

Barkadion wrote:
Canterbury wrote:Not a tactical athlete but I do know a thing or two about running. 1.5 and 3 mile distances are primarily aerobic. You need a base of long easy miles. Those that have an existing aerobic base can spend more time on speed work, those that don't -- shouldn't. The classic 80/20 split (long easy miles/speed work) applies. If it takes you 25 minutes or longer to run 3 miles, your aerobic base isn't as good as it could be. Don't neglect speed work completely, but do more more work in the "Green" zone, skew your training ratio toward long easy miles.
Canterbury, do you mean maxing out race pace when you talking about 3 miles? Or Fast5 pace which is pushing yourself enough to stay out comfort zone?
Not sure what you're asking? I'm speaking in the context of a timed 3 mile event.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Canterbury wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Not sure what you're asking? I'm speaking in the context of a timed 3 mile event.
Sorry, bad question.

I guess I am trying to ask if 25 min mark should apply to the regular fast runs during training blocks or one should be able to get under 25 min by trying to run at one's max speed.

My 3 miles time is around 26 min when I do my weekly Fast 5 runs. I never push myself to run as fast as I can. I just keep HR around 165ish. And I run on regular roads that include one long hill.

Canterbury

Post by Canterbury »

Barkadion wrote:
Canterbury wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Sorry, bad question.

I guess I am trying to ask if 25 min mark should apply to the regular fast runs during training blocks or one should be able to get under 25 min by trying to run at one's max speed.

My 3 miles time is around 26 min when I do my weekly Fast 5 runs. I never push myself to run as fast as I can. I just keep HR around 165ish. And I run on regular roads that include one long hill.

okay I think I gotcha. This is a rough figure, but if your best time is 25-26 minutes to finish 5k or 3 miles, then your aerobic base has a lot of room for improvement. Do more "green zone" work and less speed work or short track workouts. Keep doing both, but skew the ratio toward long easy miles, long fartleks, LISS, etc.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Canterbury wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Canterbury wrote:
Sorry, bad question.

okay I think I gotcha. This is a rough figure, but if your best time is 25-26 minutes to finish 5k or 3 miles, then your aerobic base has a lot of room for improvement. Do more "green zone" work and less speed work or short track workouts. Keep doing both, but skew the ratio toward long easy miles, long fartleks, LISS, etc.
Makes sense. Thank you.