HIC Options/Suggestions

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Adski

Re: HIC Options/Suggestions

Post by Adski »

StayGrey wrote:
KShea wrote:
Barkadion wrote:You can google "Fartlek running" and/or look into Ross E. books..

Personally, I found that I can get plenty of different modes/varieties just by being creative with TB material.. Just imho...
I have a ton of ideas... I was kind of just looking to see what other TBers are doing. I've seen some creative stuff happening...
I'm in the same boat, there's so many ways to tweak and run the HICs & GCs that I rarely stray. But when I do shake it up a little my go-to is Ross Enamait's Magic 50 and his numbered GPP workouts in Infinite Intensity. Everyone should experience the Magic 50 at least once!
I feel like everyone should experience fast and furious as well as work capacity 101 and density day at least a few times in their life. That 50 day program was such a good fit when fighting actively.

StayGrey

Post by StayGrey »

KShea wrote:
StayGrey wrote:
I'm in the same boat, there's so many ways to tweak and run the HICs & GCs that I rarely stray. But when I do shake it up a little my go-to is Ross Enamait's Magic 50 and his numbered GPP workouts in Infinite Intensity. Everyone should experience the Magic 50 at least once!
How is the book?

I'm doing TB with more interest in max strength than conditioning, but I like to have a good conditioning base and have enjoyed Op + Black so far... I'm running it with the idea that I do 1 long E, 1 moderate E (like a 5k at around 85-90%) and 1 HIC a week. Would the book fit that kind of training regimen?
The book is great, all his materials are solid. The premise behind his 50 day program is basically 3-4 HIC plus 1-2 strength sessions a week. At the time Ross wasn't a big advocate of roadwork but I think he's softened his stance since (someone correct me if I'm wrong). One caveat; I don't like his strength training sessions, there's no real progression, and the exercises he uses don't give the best bang-for-buck. I would sub in Fighter template if I were to run the 50 day again.

spemma

Post by spemma »

Two things that were pretty good for replacing sprints in the cold winter months:
1) Deadmills - hop on a treadmill that is powered off. Grip the side and start digging down to get the belt moving and sprint all out for 30 seconds.
2) Car Push - I ask my wife (god bless her) to hop in the car in idle and start a clock for 30-45 seconds. I would push the car for 5 reps.

I realize you said no equipment, so the treadmill might be out. But surely you have a car!

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

StayGrey wrote:
KShea wrote:
StayGrey wrote:
How is the book?

I'm doing TB with more interest in max strength than conditioning, but I like to have a good conditioning base and have enjoyed Op + Black so far... I'm running it with the idea that I do 1 long E, 1 moderate E (like a 5k at around 85-90%) and 1 HIC a week. Would the book fit that kind of training regimen?
The book is great, all his materials are solid. The premise behind his 50 day program is basically 3-4 HIC plus 1-2 strength sessions a week. At the time Ross wasn't a big advocate of roadwork but I think he's softened his stance since (someone correct me if I'm wrong). One caveat; I don't like his strength training sessions, there's no real progression, and the exercises he uses don't give the best bang-for-buck. I would sub in Fighter template if I were to run the 50 day again.
Ross had spent years doing roadwork as part of his boxing training when he was younger. He had already done all that road work and gave you a way to train around this and still be fit. He had already built a massive aerobic base and didn't see the need to continue. From memory he mentions this in the book, but a lot of people believe he said that road work is bad. I believe he said the sessions he put forward in his book would prepare you better and in some ways he is right. The longer style intervals also involve a heavy aerobic demand once you get out around 600+ meters.

Traditional boxing skill work will give you similar conditioning to a Long slow run anyway. The first half hour of skipping, shadow boxing and bag work is aerobic for most boxers.

I definitely rate his books and the conditioning would pair really well with a fighter template on top of skill work.

I also love a good base build and think they are important, but I know from past experience there are other ones to build that sort of aerobic endurance.