What advice would you give a rank novice?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Jason E

Re: What advice would you give a rank novice?

Post by Jason E »

I agree with J Madd. I did GSLP for about 2 months and had some good results with muscular weight gain.The resets and driving the rep max are the key.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Jason E wrote:I agree with J Madd. I did GSLP for about 2 months and had some good results with muscular weight gain.The resets and driving the rep max are the key.
Is that your only exposure to a linear progression type program ?

Please don't take this the wrong way but basically any program with cause improvements for 2 months when you first start.
Sorry if I am misunderstanding, but most of these programs really need to be run for 6-12 months to really get all you can out of them.
You won't progress every session after a few months, but with a short reset you can milk these linear gains for that first year of training.

Not an attack just curious and would like to clarify. I am very glad you enjoyed that program as it isn't one I have done myself.

I started with the old Bill Starr 5x5 and progressed that until 2.5x BW deadlift, 2x BW Squat and 1.5 x BW Benchpress for singles on a 1RM test day.

Adski

Post by Adski »

Maxrip13 wrote:Great suggestions above.

I think you would do fine with simple operator from TB progressing and retesting every 6 weeks. That 6 week massive jump will be addictive if the beginner can stick to it.

Depending on what the goals are I would also throw Never Gym less or Infinite Intensity in the mix. I own and love both of Ross's books though I never completed the full 50 day program. In fact I really under utilised these resources.

Don't get me wrong I love barbell work and linear progression is the way to go to start your strength journey, but I am finding I am moving further and further away from the traditional squat/bench/deadlift with barbells in my training.

I have also seen some very successful templates pairing TB fighter with Infinite Intensity. The conditioning work in Ross's books are excellent to pair with sport training provided you have a decent aerobic base.
x2 on infinite intensity, that 50 day program is still one of the best things I ever did....repeatedly, me and a good friend of mine used it for about a year straight repeatedly before making our own adjustments. Strength and conditioning across the board was through the roof. As I type this I feel like OP/IA with a mix of the 50 day program condintioning (with apex once a week), could be a fantastic option, or fighter for someone starting out.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Adski wrote:

I think you would do fine with simple operator from TB progressing and retesting every 6 weeks. That 6 week massive jump will be addictive if the beginner can stick to it.

Depending on what the goals are I would also throw Never Gym less or Infinite Intensity in the mix. I own and love both of Ross's books though I never completed the full 50 day program. In fact I really under utilised these resources.

Don't get me wrong I love barbell work and linear progression is the way to go to start your strength journey, but I am finding I am moving further and further away from the traditional squat/bench/deadlift with barbells in my training.

I have also seen some very successful templates pairing TB fighter with Infinite Intensity. The conditioning work in Ross's books are excellent to pair with sport training provided you have a decent aerobic base.
x2 on infinite intensity, that 50 day program is still one of the best things I ever did....repeatedly, me and a good friend of mine used it for about a year straight repeatedly before making our own adjustments. Strength and conditioning across the board was through the roof. As I type this I feel like OP/IA with a mix of the 50 day program condintioning (with apex once a week), could be a fantastic option, or fighter for someone starting out.
Yeah I have heard that from alot of people. I never used the 50 day program from start to finish but I definitely used the principles and particular workouts like "Magic 50". His density stuff was also very good for getting some solid training in fast.

I only really had kettlebells so I never used the dumbell strength stuff, but I am really considering doing the program as it's written in the book to mix things up a bit. Otherwise it definitely pairs well with fighter.

Adski

Post by Adski »

Magic 50, Fast and furious, work cap 101 and density were the best!

Even the 6 day extra strength session template example in infinite intensity looks like it would be worth a run too (which is very similar to fighter).

I’ve thought of doing it this way as well, though it all would depend on goals/needs.

Jason E

Post by Jason E »

Maxrip13 wrote:
Jason E wrote:I agree with J Madd. I did GSLP for about 2 months and had some good results with muscular weight gain.The resets and driving the rep max are the key.

Please don't take this the wrong way but basically any program with cause improvements for 2 months when you first start.
Sorry if I am misunderstanding, but most of these programs really need to be run for 6-12 months to really get all you can out of them.
You won't progress every session after a few months, but with a short reset you can milk these linear gains for that first year of training.

Not an attack just curious and would like to clarify. I am very glad you enjoyed that program as it isn't one I have done myself.

I started with the old Bill Starr 5x5 and progressed that until 2.5x BW deadlift, 2x BW Squat and 1.5 x BW Benchpress for singles on a 1RM test day.

No, I've been lifting fairly regularly for 20+ years when the job allowed. 5X5 is ok but I got more muscular growth with rep maxes. I've done HIT (heavy duty), Bodybuidling splits, powerlifting routines (5/3/1 etc.) Trained at Gym Jones a couple times, EXOS program etc. I had the most hypertrophy out of 10X10 GVT however. I'm not saying strength or strength endurance but straight muscle gain.

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

Maxrip13 wrote:
Adski wrote:

Yeah I have heard that from alot of people. I never used the 50 day program from start to finish but I definitely used the principles and particular workouts like "Magic 50". His density stuff was also very good for getting some solid training in fast.

I only really had kettlebells so I never used the dumbell strength stuff, but I am really considering doing the program as it's written in the book to mix things up a bit. Otherwise it definitely pairs well with fighter.

Ross is top tier, as is his material. One small gripe I have with the II/50 Day is it's a little too much time spent in the high intensity zone. This Joel Jamieson article is timely and kinda illustrates my point:

http://www.8weeksout.com/2017/11/21/rec ... n-fitness/

That being said I think there's a place for it if used judiciously. There does seem to be a lot of chatter across the interwebz of posters combining Fighter and 50 with great success.....just my .02

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Jason E wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:

No, I've been lifting fairly regularly for 20+ years when the job allowed. 5X5 is ok but I got more muscular growth with rep maxes. I've done HIT (heavy duty), Bodybuidling splits, powerlifting routines (5/3/1 etc.) Trained at Gym Jones a couple times, EXOS program etc. I had the most hypertrophy out of 10X10 GVT however. I'm not saying strength or strength endurance but straight muscle gain.
With that background for the program to get a recommendation from you it must have worked well. :D
Might have to rotate it in eventually.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

DocOctagon wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:
Adski wrote:

Ross is top tier, as is his material. One small gripe I have with the II/50 Day is it's a little too much time spent in the high intensity zone. This Joel Jamieson article is timely and kinda illustrates my point:

http://www.8weeksout.com/2017/11/21/rec ... n-fitness/

That being said I think there's a place for it if used judiciously. There does seem to be a lot of chatter across the interwebz of posters combining Fighter and 50 with great success.....just my .02
He has aerobic based covered in the book at least. He mentions his extensive road running background and boxing rounds can cover 80% of the rest. I would love to see a re write with barbells and road running added.

StayGrey

Post by StayGrey »

Maxrip13 wrote: I would love to see a re write with barbells and road running added.
Isn't that what TB is....? lol :)

Love Ross. Find him and KB have a very similar style of communicating and preach the same virtues. I often sub in WCs, GPPs, and warrior workouts as HICs when I run Black.