Conditioning on Maximum Strength Days

MxS/SE/HIC/E
danpmor

Conditioning on Maximum Strength Days

Post by danpmor »

I have purchased the books and am starting the program this week. I had a question about Max Strength days. I have seen a couple people doing the program who do a Conditioning session after Strength. Is this advisable or do most people just do their lifts and call it good for the day?

WallBilly

Re: Conditioning on Maximum Strength Days

Post by WallBilly »

Some days, it's unavoidable. You either do it, or you have to skip a conditioning workout. Life gets in the way.

Occasionally, I have done an HIC workout directly after lifting. It's not my favorite thing to do, but it can be done, and you can get used to it.

Quite often, I lift in the morning and do a conditioning workout or sport after work on the same day. This is not as hard. Also, I prefer this schedule to one where I do a hard conditioning workout or brutal sports session at night, and have to go max strength the next day.

So I prefer: Lift at 6 am, play hockey at 9 pm same day, take next day off.

Instead of: Play hockey at 9 pm tonight, try to drag my ass out of bed to lift at 6 am the next day.

Tyr0331

Post by Tyr0331 »

You don’t want it to take away from your strength training. But I agree with WallBilly, if it’s between that and skipping a conditioning day on a regular basis, have at it. Read the thread about the Zulu template. I would look at the Zulu template if you plan on combining strength and conditioning often
Last edited by Tyr0331 on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

I think it is also a question of how hard you want to push the conditioning. I’d say it can be beneficial if you are having an “easy” week and you can use an easy conditioning session as a recovery from your lifts on the same day. If you pushing conditioning hard... that’s a different story.

On the side note.. I’ve heard/read few different non-TB opinions when people are doing conditioning before the lifting and they swear it to be beneficial. I can’t imagine doing so.. But I’m no expert..
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

spemma

Post by spemma »

i tried to pair up my shorter duration, more sprint-style HIC's with my MS days. longer duration conditioning usually gets its own day.

alottadav

Post by alottadav »

Have a question to present here, it's somewhat applicable. It's not a huge deal though, so it does not warrant its own thread

Metabolic signaling- 1 rep max deadlift sends a different signal to the body than a 30min LSS run, clearly.

NOW- say you're going for a Green Protocol block, but want to keep hormone levels and power as high as possible.
Suppose you do a 40 min Aerobic run. AFTER this run, could you do something lie 10x100m sprints, or some explosive sled sprints to somewhat counteract the signaling the 40min run is going to give you?

Or will it come out as nil, given the stronger affect the 40min run has? Clear as mud.

I know a lot of ethiopian marathoners will do something similar, 10x100 2-3x a week following one of their runs. I can only assume the goal there is to just add in excess speed work, faster turnover, etc.... and less about hormones/power/testosterone HGH etc..

I'm asking because if you're running a heavy E cycle, but able to add this in, could you essentially have the best of both worlds- or minimize the effect lots of E has on the body?

I understand the greater effort will overcome, but do ya'lll think its a good idea? (NOT DURING A BB block)