General SE Question

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Tobus

General SE Question

Post by Tobus »

Hi guys,

I'm currently on week 4 of the Base Building program. Really enjoying it so far.

I just had a quick question on the SE elements.

My current SE is:

KB Swing
V-Ups
Goblet Squats
Hand of Ground Press Up
KB Snatch
TRX Rows.

20kg Bell apart from the Goblets I use a 24kg bell.

How hard should these sessions be? Should you bee doing the whole thing unbroken?

Recently I did the 3x40 session and it took me 1hr 4mins to complete. I had to break up every set and I just rested when I needed too. I didnt go to the point of being totally gassed but it wasnt a walk in the park of course.

I'm only asking as is that way to long for that session to complete? or is that normal? Should I be breaking up the sets when I get deep into the rounds or am I going too heavy?

Or is just chipping through it what is supposed to happen and rest when you need to ?

Thanks!
Toby

Barkadion

Re: General SE Question

Post by Barkadion »

KB made great post on the topic on the reddit a while ago. I will copy/paste it below.

KB on SE

TB'ers, there seems to be some confusion when it comes to SE;

1. Your #1 goal is to complete all assigned reps continuously. You will fail. Upon failing, take short rest-pause breaks and finish up the set.

2. Achieve goal#1 before you worry about shortening the rest intervals. It is pointless trying to maintain 30 second RIs when you can't finish an assigned set of 30 in one go. You have an allotted RI. USE IT. If you're moving between exercises that you know you can finish, then by all means shorten it. If you're not, then take advantage of the upper end of the rest period. You don't get points for maintaining the same RI throughout your session.

3. First reach goal#1, then start worrying about decreasing the RIs.

4. Put your ego aside and use the Alpha circuits if this is your first time with SE training. Or if you're not coming from a paramilitary background that had you get on your face all the time. Alpha circuits are more forgiving if you accidentally start too heavy.

5. For simple and highly effective entry-level Base Building, do Alpha circuits 3 x week + E 3 x week.

To sum up, first worry about finishing each set without stopping. Once you achieve that, then you can work on shortening the RIs. This won't happen overnight.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Tobus

Post by Tobus »

Perfect, this is what I was looking for.

Looks like I will lighten the load initially so I am able to move continuously throughout the reps, then look at shortening my rest peroids.

I'm coming from a crossfit background so I have this mentality of grinding through everything as quick as I can.

I'll apply this mentality next time I have my SE and see how it goes.

thanks for your help!

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Tobus wrote:Perfect, this is what I was looking for.

Looks like I will lighten the load initially so I am able to move continuously throughout the reps, then look at shortening my rest peroids.

I'm coming from a crossfit background so I have this mentality of grinding through everything as quick as I can.

I'll apply this mentality next time I have my SE and see how it goes.

thanks for your help!
No worries! You gonna love it! My 50reps SE session was bloody sweaty bath. And I have good memories now..

Good luck! :)
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Tobus

Post by Tobus »

I did my 1 Round of 50 Today, took me 18:20 to get through it.

However I did it before I read this reply.

Can't wait for next week with more rounds!

Tobus

Post by Tobus »

I did my 1 Round of 50 Today, took me 18:20 to get through it.

However I did it before I read this reply.

Can't wait for next week with more rounds!

Saracen

Post by Saracen »

Tobus wrote:Hi guys,

I'm currently on week 4 of the Base Building program. Really enjoying it so far.

I just had a quick question on the SE elements.

My current SE is:

KB Swing
V-Ups
Goblet Squats
Hand of Ground Press Up
KB Snatch
TRX Rows.

20kg Bell apart from the Goblets I use a 24kg bell.

How hard should these sessions be? Should you bee doing the whole thing unbroken?

Recently I did the 3x40 session and it took me 1hr 4mins to complete. I had to break up every set and I just rested when I needed too. I didnt go to the point of being totally gassed but it wasnt a walk in the park of course.

I'm only asking as is that way to long for that session to complete? or is that normal? Should I be breaking up the sets when I get deep into the rounds or am I going too heavy?

Or is just chipping through it what is supposed to happen and rest when you need to ?

Thanks!
Toby
Totally normal to break sets up, especially once you're past the 30 rep zone. The suggested 1rm's to estimate weight are around 20% I believe. Next time around you might want to cut down to 4-5 exercises, especially as you have some 2 handed/switch off movements going on. Doing SE for an hour is a little long, but not "forbidden" or anything per se.

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

Barkadion wrote:KB made great post on the topic on the reddit a while ago. I will copy/paste it below.

KB on SE

TB'ers, there seems to be some confusion when it comes to SE;

1. Your #1 goal is to complete all assigned reps continuously. You will fail. Upon failing, take short rest-pause breaks and finish up the set.

2. Achieve goal#1 before you worry about shortening the rest intervals. It is pointless trying to maintain 30 second RIs when you can't finish an assigned set of 30 in one go. You have an allotted RI. USE IT. If you're moving between exercises that you know you can finish, then by all means shorten it. If you're not, then take advantage of the upper end of the rest period. You don't get points for maintaining the same RI throughout your session.

3. First reach goal#1, then start worrying about decreasing the RIs.

4. Put your ego aside and use the Alpha circuits if this is your first time with SE training. Or if you're not coming from a paramilitary background that had you get on your face all the time. Alpha circuits are more forgiving if you accidentally start too heavy.

5. For simple and highly effective entry-level Base Building, do Alpha circuits 3 x week + E 3 x week.

To sum up, first worry about finishing each set without stopping. Once you achieve that, then you can work on shortening the RIs. This won't happen overnight.

Great advice! Thank you! I think after over thinking, I will do that style of base building that you mentioned for number 5. Have you (or anyone else) on here done that that kind of BB?

Also, for an SE workout, whats your thoughts on using a PT Pyramid, or the USMC short card, etc.? Something that is structured? Do you think this is good for someone whose weaknesses are mainly body weight exercises?
Get after it!

Conor78

Post by Conor78 »

Sorry guys I thought there was three editions so I just picked up the 3rd one thinking it was the most up to date. Bought the TB2 conditionng book this morningame so I ll read that and see how I can integrate with the fighter template 2 days a week. Going to go with with BP/SQ/weighted chin up and DL once a week. I'll look and see how to fit conditioning around this..