After 40 club

MxS/SE/HIC/E
TBPenguin

Re: After 40 club

Post by TBPenguin »

DocOctagon wrote:
TBPenguin wrote:
Barkadion wrote:We've been discussing lifting after 40 and up. OK. Makes sense. But what about conditioning?

It seems to be still beneficial according to the study. But yes, of course it is better to start in eariler age.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 050514.php

"Despite biological changes with age, the heart still seems - even at the age of 40 - amenable to modification by endurance training. Starting at the age of 40 does not seem to impair the cardiac benefits"

Now if only the gonads would do the same. KB's reminder of what excess conditioning will do to hormones was a good one. Does anybody have a good way of detecting practical limits, or should we just go with known minimums? For me it seems easier to tell when lifting is excessive.
I don't think you have to worry about this unless it's excessive. People tend to overestimate what "excessive" is as it relates to cardio. If you run a few marathons every year, you're probably at risk. Running LSS 30-45 minutes 3-5 x week isn't going to do it and in fact will probably help by reducing fat, lowering RHR (more relaxed = less cortisol), and enhancing brain dopamine.

Short HIC sessions should only help. Brief high intensity efforts increase both testosterone and growth hormone. Studies abound.

Doing 2-5 two hour LSS runs per week on the other hand, probably shouldn't be your bread and butter unless you're preparing for special operations or endurance racing.

Do you recall what the details were for doing the HIC to boost hormones?

I've had no adverse reaction to doing LSS 2x or 3x at 30-35 minutes a time, don't know if that is enough to provide much benefit.

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

TBPenguin wrote:
DocOctagon wrote:
TBPenguin wrote:

Now if only the gonads would do the same. KB's reminder of what excess conditioning will do to hormones was a good one. Does anybody have a good way of detecting practical limits, or should we just go with known minimums? For me it seems easier to tell when lifting is excessive.
I don't think you have to worry about this unless it's excessive. People tend to overestimate what "excessive" is as it relates to cardio. If you run a few marathons every year, you're probably at risk. Running LSS 30-45 minutes 3-5 x week isn't going to do it and in fact will probably help by reducing fat, lowering RHR (more relaxed = less cortisol), and enhancing brain dopamine.

Short HIC sessions should only help. Brief high intensity efforts increase both testosterone and growth hormone. Studies abound.

Doing 2-5 two hour LSS runs per week on the other hand, probably shouldn't be your bread and butter unless you're preparing for special operations or endurance racing.

I've had no adverse reaction to doing LSS 2x or 3x at 30-35 minutes a time, don't know if that is enough to provide much benefit.
Short bursts of intensity basically. Can be as little as 6 x 35 meter sprints with 10 second RI as shown in this study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21849912

Or longer and more involved intensity-intervals. Here are a few more:

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/45/15/A6.2.abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23310924

This last link is interesting. It shows an increase in free testosterone after both sprint training and steady-state-endurance. Where that changes is 12hours post workout in favor of sprints.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

DocOctagon wrote:
TBPenguin wrote:
DocOctagon wrote:

Short bursts of intensity basically. Can be as little as 6 x 35 meter sprints with 10 second RI as shown in this study:

This last link is interesting. It shows an increase in free testosterone after both sprint training and steady-state-endurance. Where that changes is 12hours post workout in favor of sprints.
Appreciate the links. Very interesting..
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

DocOctagon wrote:

Thanks Doc. That first one could fit in to almost any schedule.

Gerryatric

Post by Gerryatric »

As a member of the over 40 club (46) this thread is invaluable ,hopefully help me balance ego against ability :D

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Post by Train_Hard_Live_Easy »

Gerryatric wrote:As a member of the over 40 club (46) this thread is invaluable ,hopefully help me balance ego against ability :D
That's a brilliant way to sum it up "balance ego against ability"
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.
"What was hard to do, is sweet to remember" Seneca.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Another interesting topic is exercise selection for lifters after 40. We might need to be more careful and thoughtful on what and how we push and pull. Injury history, CNS.. everything comes to the consideration when we pick a cluster.

Here is my thoughts based on some personal experience. I am genuinely interested in your opinion.

Pull
- It might make some sense to be careful about conventional DL. Less frequency at least.
Another options: Sumo, RDL, block/rack pulls, trap bar. My favorite is block pulls. 2.5inch pull makes it feel almost like a conventional.
- Another favorite pull is seal rows. I might use it for the next block.
- Pull ups: it might be safer to stick with BW pull ups and parallel grip.
- Inverted rows with TRX/Rings is underestimated now days. It is really safe for shoulders and it has a number options for the progression.
- Unilateral rowing. I am big fan of using bands for vertical rows. I don't really like classic DB rows.. Just not my favorite ones..

Push
- It might be better to switch to Swiss bar for benching at some point. Your shoulder will thank you.
- I love landmine presses and I do use it instead of OHP. Really upper-back friendly. Different variations (standing, half-kneeling, and bilateral is you have an attachment).
- Unilateral DB incline benching. That's a great one.

Squat
- I switch between Front SQ and SSB SQ. No more back squat for me.
- Unilateral. Bulgarian splits - I love/hate those, but they are incredibly effective.
My favorite unilateral exercise is reverse lunge with BB in front of you w/cross grip position. Gets you hard.

Core
- I like to address it by keeping finishers around. Carries, farmers, Ab wheel, TGU, swings, and anti-rotation chops with bands.

What do you guys think?

WallBilly

Post by WallBilly »

Barkadion wrote:Another interesting topic is exercise selection for lifters after 40. . . .
What do you guys think?
I don't know, man, I'm still liking the classic big 4: low bar back squat, bench, traditional deadlift, OHP.

If I had a specific injury that made it difficult to do one of these well, I'd consider a switch. As it is, I think doing these well actually helps me avoid injury in life and sports.

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Bark, I don't see any reason to back off on the weighted pullups. I can still do them very heavy. I think if the reps are done well, this is not a risky lift. I will grant you that acceptable grip options may change as we age. My shoulder is not thrilled with palms away, but palms facing and parallel are fine. But that is just me.

I've almost always done conventional DL, but have started experimenting with sumo to see if it is less risky. For me at least, rack pulls are worse. Not sure RDLs are good at the lower reps.

Benching is something I see going away over time. It just takes more and more efforts to make it not bother the shoulders.

I'm interested in your experiences using the unilateral stuff, both legs and upper body. You've commented on both the incline bench and Bulgarian splits as effective - in what way? How do you think they compare to the barbell lifts? HAve you been using them in TB fashion or as accessories?

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

WallBilly wrote:
Barkadion wrote:Another interesting topic is exercise selection for lifters after 40. . . .
What do you guys think?
I don't know, man, I'm still liking the classic big 4: low bar back squat, bench, traditional deadlift, OHP.

If I had a specific injury that made it difficult to do one of these well, I'd consider a switch. As it is, I think doing these well actually helps me avoid injury in life and sports.
Billy, by all means.. keep at that if it works for you. I'm just sharing my experience..