Maintaining what I have.

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Greenie40

Maintaining what I have.

Post by Greenie40 »

Would like some input on a question I have. Been doing operator for awhile now and added base building here and there. With my work schedule and family life been having a hard time juggling my workouts. So made the move to early morning workout but having a hard time with the hics. Strength sessions are not a problem for me but mentally and physically I’m haveing a hard time with the hics early in the morning. I consider myself in pretty good shape and want to keep what I have conditioning wise. My question is could I get away with doing endurance sessions in the morning like air dyne and rowing and was planning on doing my rucking on the weekends. Any input would be great.

Barkadion

Re: Maintaining what I have.

Post by Barkadion »

I've been training early mornings for decades. It's become very early mornings for the last couple of years due to being new dad. I get up around 4AM and I start training around 4:30AM. I train fasted so Creatine, BCAA, and caffeine is staple.

I do agree that it is not easy and that conditioning is harder than lifting. I think it is mostly in my mind, though.. All of the the difficulties of it. So, I embrace the suck. Well... that has been my experience. You train you mind as well as you train your body. It does suck sometimes and I do force myself into my basement gym sometimes and my recovery hits the wall once in a while. I am sure my performance and progress suffer but this is the best I can do with my life schedule.

I've done couple of blocks with just Fobbit variations (Airdyne combined with BW SE) and LSS (Airdyne and Row) and that wasn't too bad. I didn't feel all the benefits of the classic TB continuation block, though.

All I am trying to say that it is doable. Just my 2c, mate.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Greenie40

Post by Greenie40 »

Thanks bark. I do plan on keeping the morning schedule and I suppose over time my body will adjust to the hics. I’ll keep on pushing threw the suck and hope it gets better.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Greenie40 wrote:Thanks bark. I do plan on keeping the morning schedule and I suppose over time my body will adjust to the hics. I’ll keep on pushing threw the suck and hope it gets better.
It will get better! That's the beauty of TB, mate :)
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Just drop the intensity to deal with the early mornings. I used to be a morning person and do all my training then, but now I struggle with shift work and adjusting.

I do have to say that nothing beats an LSS run in the morning and studies have shown that E is best trained at this time.

You will still make improvements it just won't feel like it. Throw in the occasional later HIC when you are feeling good and have time. This will give you a chance to push the performance a bit and feel the improvements.

Consistency trumps intensity. I can train my arse off for 4 weeks and get fitter but eventually I hit a road block and stall out.
If I grind away at an easier load it might take me 12 weeks to get to the same spot, but I guarantee the improvements will be longer lasting.

Any training is better than nothing at all and early morning training makes you feel like rocky haha :D