Conditioning after broken humerus bone

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Lycan

Conditioning after broken humerus bone

Post by Lycan »

Greetings to all guys here,

I was out of the picture for some time.
I broke humerus bone last year in January and recovered fully. I have titanium bolts and nail in humerus now. However, now is the time to re-build my condition and strength.

Does anyone have experience with similar/same injury?

I consulted several experts and most of them say that my solid conditioning saved me from worse scenario, but I lost lot of tendon flexibility.
I managed to do again 20 push-ups several weeks ago. Horrible mental state, I was never this week since grade school.

I will start running this week and lifting little again. Pull ups are far away, I think.

What do you think I should start first - strength, endurance, flexibility?

Barkadion

Re: Conditioning after broken humerus bone

Post by Barkadion »

Sorry to hear that mate.. Having injury isn't fun. I've had one that is different from yours and it was related to upper back. It took me long time (couple of years or so) to get back to the regular training. And it was slow steady hike back to the point where my body and mind were once.

I am going to copy and paste one of my responds to different posting on this forum. Basically, it tells my experience with getting back to training. Again, my injury wasn't similar to yours. I just hope it might help you to set good mindset and the strategy to the recovery process..

Good luck and stay strong!

---------------
I can partly relate to your experience. My time off the training was related to injury and it was longer than yours.
Here is what I have done and it worked for me.

1. Make sure you can move correctly and your body can remember movements and you are comfortable with it.
2. Start with careful warm-ups, mobility drills, proper breathing, and BW movements.
3. Progress to DB/KB unilateral and bilateral work.
4. Progress to BB compounds. Take your time and make sure your form is good.
5. Don't forget your core.
6. Progress from LSS to basic HIC slowly.
7. Take your time and make sure you are comfortable with regular training.

Here what my schedule looked like at the time.

1st Step:
M/W/F - Push-ups, inverted rows, walking lunges, core. Finishing with 15 min walk.

2nd step:
M/W/F - TGUs, Swings, Goblet squats. Finishing with 20 min walk.

3rd step:
M/W/F - Bulgarian splits, 1a DB floor press, 1a DB rows, core.
T/Th - LSS

4rd step:
M/W/F - Front squat, Trap Bar DL, Chins, Dips. Linear progression starting with bar only. Min sets.
T/Th - basic HIC

5th step - Regular program starting with minimal TM. Could be OWT OP I/A (?).

That was my game.. It was very slow and somewhat painful experience but it did work. I have discovered TB on Ross forum after I was done with 5th step.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Lycan

Post by Lycan »

Thank you, friend.

You got it there - mind is even more "damaged". Seeing for the first time 3kg barbell comparing to old 15kg - I wanted to jump out of window, hahaha.

This is great plan. I will use it for sure.

Did you repeat the 1st step for some time, then advanced to 2nd or did you alternated it?

I will give more to running, thinking of going first green, than black. But as you said, after a lot of BB.

I am not versed with kettle-bell, but I will start doing martial arts (wing chun/hung gar) again.

Thank you once more.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Lycan wrote:Thank you, friend.

You got it there - mind is even more "damaged". Seeing for the first time 3kg barbell comparing to old 15kg - I wanted to jump out of window, hahaha.

This is great plan. I will use it for sure.

Did you repeat the 1st step for some time, then advanced to 2nd or did you alternated it?

I will give more to running, thinking of going first green, than black. But as you said, after a lot of BB.

I am not versed with kettle-bell, but I will start doing martial arts (wing chun/hung gar) again.

Thank you once more.
I remember taking it slow. I think my 1st step was about 3 moths and the following steps were about the same or little shorter.. Just take your time. You have rest of your life to get stronger. Make sure you are safe to move forward. Appreciate your effort and enjoy getting back to it. It is fun after all ;)
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Lycan

Post by Lycan »

Here is a current update, if someone want to give opinion/advice.
I am 30 this June, male, training goal is to be rounded as before (martial arts, mountain climbing, tango dancing and running 5-10km).
I am at BB now and here are numbers:
I can lift over-head press 2x15kg no problems, also with deadlift and rowing. Did not test out maximum, still little scared of injury.
Push ups at 17-19 maximum, currently. Cannot do pull ups still.
Squats body-weight - 30, but problem with tendons, stiffer than ever.
I ran 50 minutes last couple E sessions (went around 4-5km, but did not measured precisely, concentrated on time, not distance) and did one rucking (9km, 2hours, 10kg - had no feel of being tired).
Did one bicycling session 2 weeks ago - 45km with hills in 2:15 minutes. Felt okay days after.
My diet is - I eat everything, but trying to cut down on sweet. Looking good, just having belly.

All in all, I think my maximum strength is better then strength-endurance, that is why I started BB with normal, then I will go Green probably.

What do you guys think?