TB strength training while on duty (firefighter)

MxS/SE/HIC/E
cws1992

TB strength training while on duty (firefighter)

Post by cws1992 »

I have ran Operator I/A for a while and had great strength gains but I wanted to switch it up. I miss accessories and the "pump". So I'm gonna be running Zulu for the first time because the 2 main lifts can be done in about 20 minutes which is ideal being at a busy firehouse. So say I'm doing my strength session and I've completed 1 or 2 sets for my main lift that day and I get a call. What would be the best way to finish my session once I get back to the station which can sometimes be an hour or 2 later? Should I just pick up where I left off?

My goal is to complete my strength training while on shift then do some conditioning work or accessories afterwards.Thanks guys.

Maxrip13

Re: TB strength training while on duty (firefighter)

Post by Maxrip13 »

I would pick a certain number of sets and aim for them each 24 hours.
E.g
4x5 squat
5x5 benchpress

If I got interrupted but could come back I would then warm up and finish my sets.

That’s off the top of my head as how I would approach your situation.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

I've lifted on duty before and been interrupted, it's not fun but when I get back I warm up all over again and then finish out the sets.

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

cws1992 wrote:So say I'm doing my strength session and I've completed 1 or 2 sets for my main lift that day and I get a call...Should I just pick up where I left off?
I resume lifting where I left off. Sometimes I will start over from the beginning if I have time and (especially) if the interruption left me needing to blow of some steam. Finishing/restarting the session helps me close the door on whatever interrupted me. It helps me drive on feeling like I "won" the situation.

From a HIC/E perspective: Maybe consider counting it as HIC or E based on what you did during the callout. Make an honest assessment of what you gave physically during the callout. If it rates, count it as HIC or E and drive on.
"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.

StayGrey

Post by StayGrey »

I'll pile on to what the others have said here, warm-up and pick up where you left off. Maximal-strength training shouldn't be negatively affected by that kind of interruption to any great degree. Hypertrophy and conditioning might, depending on session type.

cws1992

Post by cws1992 »

close_fox wrote:
cws1992 wrote:So say I'm doing my strength session and I've completed 1 or 2 sets for my main lift that day and I get a call...Should I just pick up where I left off?
I resume lifting where I left off. Sometimes I will start over from the beginning if I have time and (especially) if the interruption left me needing to blow of some steam. Finishing/restarting the session helps me close the door on whatever interrupted me. It helps me drive on feeling like I "won" the situation.

From a HIC/E perspective: Maybe consider counting it as HIC or E based on what you did during the callout. Make an honest assessment of what you gave physically during the callout. If it rates, count it as HIC or E and drive on.
Being fire/Ems based department, about 90 percent of our calls are ems based so majority of the time not doing anything physical.