Apex Hills aka Hills of Vomit aka I thought I was fit

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Hellequin

Apex Hills aka Hills of Vomit aka I thought I was fit

Post by Hellequin »

After almost a year of a knee injury without being able to run I got better the last weeks. I started with 'APEX Stairs' in a Soccer Stadium and today I did my first APEX Hills training.

We do have a nice hill in front of our Crossfit box. I run the hill in about 20-25 seconds in a full sprint.
This morning I felt great. I just finished base building (all conditioning done with AIRDYNE), got back with some easy Jogging E-Sessions and I am feeling great these days. So I knew: Today I will crush this APEX thing.... I read all the books, I read all the articles on the homepage and I really wanted to conquer this hill.

Well... I did a short warm up, placed the 24kg KB on top of the hill and went for it. The first rounds were great, I thought about doing short rest periods of about 1 minute on the bottom of the hill. But after the 4th sprint I almost vomited. I had to slow down, using longer rest periods (about 2.5 to 3 minutes) and after the 7th round I had to stop. Otherwise I really vomited on the street.

I thought I was fit, I thought this would be easier. But it kicked my ass so hard! And while walking home I knew: I will come back, this hill will be my new nemesis and my new best friend.

Now my question: How long are your APEX hills? Can you do them with a 100% sprint?

Looking forward to go back there...

claude512

Re: Apex Hills aka Hills of Vomit aka I thought I was fit

Post by claude512 »

Great minds think alike, I was just about to post the same thing! :D

The sprints are bad enough, the swings add a whole other layer on top of it!
I had to stop after about 6 rounds (I made noises like having an asthma attack right after the sprints then almost vomitted after the swings).

And here I thought I was in shape :shock: :lol:

I have several hills in very close proximity. I settled on a medium steep one (about 12%), and it is about 500m long so I can easily vary the distance. I shoot for about 25-30 secs full sprint right now, until I get better at them

One hell of a workout!