BB HIC Alternatives

MxS/SE/HIC/E
bull205

BB HIC Alternatives

Post by bull205 »

Howdy -

I'm on weeks 5-8 of BB. Sprained an ankle during a hike last week. For the E sessions a bike or row make sense to me. For the HIC sessions I was looking forward to doing 600m repeats and hill sprints...so thats out. Essentially all of the HICs 1-10 have running in them. There are some bikes and rowing machines, but for logistics reasons, combining them with lifting is out. To replace sprints/HIC running I was thinking of moderate weight KB Swings, long cycle C+J, Snatches. For example for the Connaught 1-10s I replaced 100m sprints with 10 Heavy KB Swings.

I know I'm in danger of overthinking this, but trying to stick the spirit of the BB HICs/ Energy System focus that are in the BB portion.

Am I veering off course or is this something that works? Is there something better?

Thanks all.

close_fox

Re: BB HIC Alternatives

Post by close_fox »

I had a similar problem a while ago. I was following the 17 Week Sample Program in TB2. I needed to sub something for Heavy Bag Resets (no access to a heavy bag), but I wanted to ensure I got the intended training stimulus. Here is the guidance I got from KB:
K.B. wrote:CF, 600m resets or any 'reset' type activity. 40-90 seconds of high intensity/near-maximal effort. Fully rested in between. Same# of suggested reps.
http://tacticalbarbell.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=389

Logically, this guidance should apply to you as well. Just get that "reset" type stimulus the best way you can.
bull205 wrote:To replace sprints/HIC running I was thinking of moderate weight KB Swings, long cycle C+J, Snatches. For example for the Connaught 1-10s I replaced 100m sprints with 10 Heavy KB Swings.
Airdyne or C2 rowing seems like closer fit to running IMO. That's what I would do.
Last edited by close_fox on Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

close_fox wrote:Airdyne or C2 rowing seems like closer fit to running IMO. That's what I would do.
I can second this. I have done several Airdyne/rower sessions to simulate running. 10-15 sec Airdyne sprints are great alternative to the short hills for instance.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

bull205

Post by bull205 »

Bark, CF -

Thanks for the quick reply. The quote from KB regarding 40-60s followed by a reset is helpful. What I ended up doing was replacing sprints with airdyne and rower, but will replace heavy bag resets with kettlebell complexes...in both cases I'll honor the work:rest ratio.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

bull205 wrote:Bark, CF -

Thanks for the quick reply. The quote from KB regarding 40-60s followed by a reset is helpful. What I ended up doing was replacing sprints with airdyne and rower, but will replace heavy bag resets with kettlebell complexes...in both cases I'll honor the work:rest ratio.
Good luck, mate.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

amac

Post by amac »

A bit late, but another good option would be Power Intervals (HIC #5), since it's the indoor replacement for the 600m resets that were originally part of your plan. It also doesn't require any sort of weights.

bull205

Post by bull205 »

amac wrote:A bit late, but another good option would be Power Intervals (HIC #5), since it's the indoor replacement for the 600m resets that were originally part of your plan. It also doesn't require any sort of weights.
I do like the power interval option tip to replace sprints. Even before posting, I had a hunch that the airdyne/rower would be called out as the "best" replacement for sprints. But - as answers have come back, I think what I really like and will use KBs for is to replace heavy bag resets #4 and drive for the 40-60s work with full recovery in between per the conversation cf linked to above.

I feel like KB complexes will fit nicely in as a BB HIC to complement BJJ training and I can do them with a wonky ankle.