Your opinion please

MxS/SE/HIC/E
Gerryatric

Your opinion please

Post by Gerryatric »

After much procrastination I will start base building tomorrow . I would like the benefit of more knowledgeable minds than mine
For SE alternate arm KB swings (can't get both paws on the handle)
Bear hug sandbag squats
Sledgehammer swings again alternating arms
Front hold (zercher ?) Lunges

LSS
Stationery bike /rower /stepper

Thanks in advance

Barkadion

Re: Your opinion please

Post by Barkadion »

Running for my LSS during BB has changed my life :) Seriously. As much as I love Airbike..

Running is a different animal. Makes you better by all means. And I am not a runner at all..

Just my dos pesos..
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Saracen

Post by Saracen »

Hi Gerry,

What kind of shape are you in now, and what's your overall goal?

Gerryatric

Post by Gerryatric »

Hi Saracen if I'm honest I am quite unfit my goal is to build a high standard of strength and conditioning but ,at 46 I have to accept that I won't be rappelling out of a black ops chopper :D

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

SE

Both TB1 and TB2 contain example SE circuits. I'm not qualified to Rx "exercise A" vs. "exercise B." Given that the texts have a "do this" template, why not start there?

LSS

I can say from experience that there is no substitute for running. Obviously, that doesn't apply if a physical issue prevents you from running.

I'm not saying you can't get in shape using a stationery bike / rower / stepper. But I would save those tools for when they fit into specific workouts. Also for when your joints need a break and need a non-impact cardio option.
"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.

Gerryatric

Post by Gerryatric »

I am not deaf to the strong recommendations for running but gig n the trouble I have with shin splints I need to keep running to a minimum . I have read both books but am looking for a way to involve my sledgehammer as I really like hitting this GS with it :lol:

Saracen

Post by Saracen »

Gerryatric wrote:Hi Saracen if I'm honest I am quite unfit my goal is to build a high standard of strength and conditioning but ,at 46 I have to accept that I won't be rappelling out of a black ops chopper :D
Looks like a solid set-up for your situation and goals. I really like your SE cluster, think it's the perfect number of exercises and is very balanced.

The only suggestion I was going to make was to incorporate some road running for E, but in a later post you mention your joints/tendons may not be up for that right away. In that case I think you're right to stick to low impact E. Base Building comes around more than once, you can always do it with running next time around after you build up to it and break your legs in.

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

Gerryatric wrote:Hi Saracen if I'm honest I am quite unfit my goal is to build a high standard of strength and conditioning but ,at 46 I have to accept that I won't be rappelling out of a black ops chopper :D
True enough, but don't be too quick to sell yourself short. You can still get into very good condition!

Gerryatric

Post by Gerryatric »

Thanks for the help guys I am determined to get myself back into the best possible condition that I can but I will need guidance of more skilled and experienced folk here