Mass Protocol - Available NOW + TOC/FAQs

MxS/SE/HIC/E
TBPenguin

Re: Mass Protocol - Available NOW + TOC/FAQs

Post by TBPenguin »

VenomousCoffee wrote:I'm looking at Grey Man in the book now and some of those days look crazy to me in their volume if you're using the example clusters. All those squats and then the pressing too, on the same day? Seems like a lot if you're the 'other' grey man.

I've done more leg volume in workouts in the past, buy those days are long gone.
I'm with you on all of this. Even the main cluster work is a bit harder, so just seems easier to overdo things if one isn't smart on the supplementary stuff. I'm sure KB got good results with this with a bunch of people, so not criticizing the template at all. If it fits one's needs and abilities...

K.B.
Site Admin

Post by K.B. »

TBPenguin wrote:
VenomousCoffee wrote:I'm looking at Grey Man in the book now and some of those days look crazy to me in their volume if you're using the example clusters. All those squats and then the pressing too, on the same day? Seems like a lot if you're the 'other' grey man.

I've done more leg volume in workouts in the past, buy those days are long gone.
I'm with you on all of this. Even the main cluster work is a bit harder, so just seems easier to overdo things if one isn't smart on the supplementary stuff. I'm sure KB got good results with this with a bunch of people, so not criticizing the template at all. If it fits one's needs and abilities...
Some things are easy, some things are effective. Not everything that's easy is effective and not everything that's effective is easy.

Gents, this is hypertrophy. There is no comfortable route to building a significant amount of muscle -otherwise everyone would be walking around jacked. Maximal-strength training with templates like Operator or Fighter might have spoiled you. This isn't maximal-strength. Hypertrophy is a game of volume and intensity. If you have any doubts I urge you to explore other (effective) programs with the same objective. A typical bodybuilding split would put the volume in GM to shame. Is mass building going to be more challenging for someone that's 50+ vs a 20-30 something? Probably. But it's nowhere near impossible or unmanageable.

I recommend actually starting the program and running a block or two of your chosen template before making any judgements on the volume, or anything else. Ensure that your diet is on point as outlined in the book. Do MP Base Building to improve work capacity if required. That's what it's there for. If you still feel like it's too challenging, you always have the option of using a training max. The %RMs are already much lower than what you're accustomed to with max-strength training. Maybe you're not taking that into account right now, which might make the volume look more daunting than it actually is. Dropping the regular TBII-style conditioning by itself will free up more gas in the tank. Bottom line - don't defeat yourself before you've even started.

K.B.
Site Admin

Post by K.B. »

matt76 wrote:Just one question after my first read through:

- When running mass protocol, are there any adjustments / factors that should be considered for a reasonably fit ( and not overweight) 40 y.o plus trainee (generally speaking)?

Thanks,

Matt.
The big one: Don't under-eat + manage your macros properly.

You shouldn't have any issues work-wise, but if you do you can use a training max. Give yourself time to adjust to the increased volume/hypertrophy style training - especially if you're coming from a high intensity/low volume max-strength background.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Thank you for the responds, KB!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

matt76

Post by matt76 »

K.B. wrote:
matt76 wrote:Just one question after my first read through:

- When running mass protocol, are there any adjustments / factors that should be considered for a reasonably fit ( and not overweight) 40 y.o plus trainee (generally speaking)?

Thanks,

Matt.
The big one: Don't under-eat + manage your macros properly.

You shouldn't have any issues work-wise, but if you do you can use a training max. Give yourself time to adjust to the increased volume/hypertrophy style training - especially if you're coming from a high intensity/low volume max-strength background.

Thanks KB.
Much appreciated.

Regards,
Matt.

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

Thanks for the feedback, KB.

YohanBC

Post by YohanBC »

This book is really useful and interesting. I think every tactical athlete should have one, even those not interested in the hypertrophy game.

I just began Grey man Monday, and I really want to warn people, if you're not used to this kind of volume and intensity, please start with a training max and use the least amount of sets and S clusters exercices prescribed for the first block. I didn't train legs for 9 months due to an injury, and going straight to the squats gave me intense cramps and soreness. Not so good for tactical athlete. I now use a training max for my squat and Deadlift. My bench and Ohp are fine though, but my upper body was used to hypertrophy work. This advice is even more important if you're 40+ yo. Just my personal experience, but if it can help it's good to go.

Anyway, thanks KB for this awesome book, just what I needed.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

YohanBC wrote:This book is really useful and interesting. I think every tactical athlete should have one, even those not interested in the hypertrophy game.

I just began Grey man Monday, and I really want to warn people, if you're not used to this kind of volume and intensity, please start with a training max and use the least amount of sets and S clusters exercices prescribed for the first block. I didn't train legs for 9 months due to an injury, and going straight to the squats gave me intense cramps and soreness. Not so good for tactical athlete. I now use a training max for my squat and Deadlift. My bench and Ohp are fine though, but my upper body was used to hypertrophy work. This advice is even more important if you're 40+ yo. Just my personal experience, but if it can help it's good to go.

Thanks for the sharing your experience. Are you using TM = 90% of your 1RM? And are you implementing green or black protocol for the Mass conditioning?

YohanBC

Post by YohanBC »

Barkadion wrote:
YohanBC wrote:This book is really useful and interesting. I think every tactical athlete should have one, even those not interested in the hypertrophy game.

Thanks for the sharing your experience. Are you using TM = 90% of your 1RM? And are you implementing green or black protocol for the Mass conditioning?
You're welcome! Yes I use TM = 90% of my 1RM. As KB state in the book, it's really important to start light and take the time to adjust to the volume and intensity. And I do green protocol for the mass conditionning, 2 times martial arts training and 1 green session. In the martial arts class I also cut the intensity back. I spar and hit the bag/mits at most for light/medium intensity, no hard sessions, and I so some really light technical sessions daily, shadow boxing or heavy bag with really low intensity, I could hold a conversation easily.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

YohanBC wrote:
Barkadion wrote:

You're welcome! Yes I use TM = 90% of my 1RM. As KB state in the book, it's really important to start light and take the time to adjust to the volume and intensity. And I do green protocol for the mass conditionning, 2 times martial arts training and 1 green session. In the martial arts class I also cut the intensity back. I spar and hit the bag/mits at most for light/medium intensity, no hard sessions, and I so some really light technical sessions daily, shadow boxing or heavy bag with really low intensity, I could hold a conversation easily.
Thanks and good luck with the Mass protocol!