Accessory cluster

MxS/SE/HIC/E
YohanBC

Accessory cluster

Post by YohanBC »

Hello everyone.

I have a question about the tests for the "non main" lifts in the mass protocol, the s cluster in the Grey man template and the clusters in specificity. Let's say I choose lateral raises, triceps extensions and biceps curls, how do I have to test those? I mean, I don't see myself doing 1RM on those lifts. Well it may be okay for curls but exercices like shoulder raise or triceps extension etc, should I even test those, and if yes then how?

Thanks.

jzt

Re: Accessory cluster

Post by jzt »

I'm not familiar with the Grey Man's template, so I'm only going with experience.

For ''maximum reps'' lifts, for example Lateral Raises, typically the method that is used is if you get 20 reps with 10lbs, your 1RM is ''20''.

80% of your 1RM would be 16 reps with 10lbs, 70% would be 14 reps, and so on. The % would be rep based. If you were to restest in 6 weeks, and got 22 reps, then you would have beaten your previous 1RM by 10%. Same methodology applies to Pull Ups, Dips, Push Ups, etc.

YohanBC

Post by YohanBC »

jzt wrote:I'm not familiar with the Grey Man's template, so I'm only going with experience.

For ''maximum reps'' lifts, for example Lateral Raises, typically the method that is used is if you get 20 reps with 10lbs, your 1RM is ''20''.

80% of your 1RM would be 16 reps with 10lbs, 70% would be 14 reps, and so on. The % would be rep based. If you were to restest in 6 weeks, and got 22 reps, then you would have beaten your previous 1RM by 10%. Same methodology applies to Pull Ups, Dips, Push Ups, etc.

Interesting, so you would go with a rep-based progression on the little isolation exercice?

jzt

Post by jzt »

YohanBC wrote:Interesting, so you would go with a rep-based progression on the little isolation exercice?
Absolutely. It was described that way in the book as well, but I can't recall where.

I'm sure this could be pushed to a full ''template''. For example, you would be 3-4 BW exercises and use % based on an AMRAP.

Let's say your max pushups was 50, then it would look like:

Week 1: 5 sets of 30 (70%)
Week 2: 4 sets of 40 (80%)
Week 3: 3 sets of 45 (90%)

Something along those lines. There's no other real way to test a ''1 Rep Max'' on assistance imo.

YohanBC

Post by YohanBC »

jzt wrote:
YohanBC wrote:Interesting, so you would go with a rep-based progression on the little isolation exercice?
Absolutely. It was described that way in the book as well, but I can't recall where.

I'm sure this could be pushed to a full ''template''. For example, you would be 3-4 BW exercises and use % based on an AMRAP.

Let's say your max pushups was 50, then it would look like:

Week 1: 5 sets of 30 (70%)
Week 2: 4 sets of 40 (80%)
Week 3: 3 sets of 45 (90%)

Something along those lines. There's no other real way to test a ''1 Rep Max'' on assistance imo.
I remember kb talk about the rep-based progression for bw only exercise such as bw dips or bw chin/pull ups, but not for other assistance work. I think it's possible to test a 1rm on accessory exercises such as front squat, db press, row, etc, but some other such as lateral raises are more complicated. I will try to go with what you said!