Grey Man without Bench

MxS/SE/HIC/E
cws1992

Grey Man without Bench

Post by cws1992 »

looking for an alternative to bench. Long story short benching and my shoulder do not mix. I always make sure to have good form (retracting scalpula) and after benching for awhile my shoulder pain comes back. It’s weird because I can do Incline Dumbbell press without any shoulder pain. I can do OHP without any shoulder pain. Anyways I’m looking to run grey man without bench. Any ideas?

rs12

Re: Grey Man without Bench

Post by rs12 »

You could use floor press instead of bench if you still want a horizontal press movement, or you could just do OHP every session. I find that full ROM bench press kills my shoulder but partial ROM lifts, like floor press or board press, are tolerable.

I've also had success using barbell rows instead of bench; my schedule alternates OHP and row instead of OHP and bench. My shoulder feels so much better when I keep rows in my program. Really, you can do anything you want as long as you use a compound exercise. Floor press, board press, incline bench press, ohp, row, whatever. Try something new and see how it feels.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

cws1992 wrote:looking for an alternative to bench. Long story short benching and my shoulder do not mix. I always make sure to have good form (retracting scalpula) and after benching for awhile my shoulder pain comes back. It’s weird because I can do Incline Dumbbell press without any shoulder pain. I can do OHP without any shoulder pain. Anyways I’m looking to run grey man without bench. Any ideas?
Pick a variation that works for you. The idea is to use the compound exercise with the biggest bang for your buck. Most people benchpress more than dumbbell bench press.

I am doing fighter HT with front squat instead of back squat. I am not moving as much total weight so In theory I will miss out on some mass. I wish I had done back squat because my core is struggling more than my lower body, but it’s only 3 weeks.

cws1992

Post by cws1992 »

rs12 wrote:You could use floor press instead of bench if you still want a horizontal press movement, or you could just do OHP every session. I find that full ROM bench press kills my shoulder but partial ROM lifts, like floor press or board press, are tolerable.

I've also had success using barbell rows instead of bench; my schedule alternates OHP and row instead of OHP and bench. My shoulder feels so much better when I keep rows in my program. Really, you can do anything you want as long as you use a compound exercise. Floor press, board press, incline bench press, ohp, row, whatever. Try something new and see how it feels.
Exactly same situation for me. Full ROM bench hurts my shoulder but partial rom is so much better. When I stopped benching 2x a week my shoulder pain is esentially gone even with a bunch of OHP and Incline DB press. Might try switching the rows for bench. And I’ll prob just have Incline DB and some flys in my S1 or S2 cluster that way I’m not neglecting chest.