Green, black, something in between?

MxS/SE/HIC/E
C.B.

Green, black, something in between?

Post by C.B. »

Just finished BB. I am trying to decide which template to use: green or black.

I am on a tactical element. I also love to road bike. Using black would have me doing endurance work once every other week (using the example template). Green would have me rarely doing SE or HIC work.

Is there some sort of black/green hybrid? MS twice and week, HIC/SE twice a week, E twice a week?

Thanks.

Adski

Re: Green, black, something in between?

Post by Adski »

You could do something like Black Professional with 2 HIC and one 60min E session.

To get in additional MS twice a week using fighter (I/A, Bangkok) with perhaps an SE finisher. You could then have an SE session on its own with an E finishers. You could adjust this to suit your needs, I would start off small with the additional work to ensure adequate recovery.

If you have a set goal in mind, this will make the planning process much easier.

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

C.B. wrote:Just finished BB. I am trying to decide which template to use: green or black.

I am on a tactical element. I also love to road bike. Using black would have me doing endurance work once every other week (using the example template). Green would have me rarely doing SE or HIC work.

Is there some sort of black/green hybrid? MS twice and week, HIC/SE twice a week, E twice a week?

Thanks.
With regard to Black, the text says: "You can do additional HIC and E...as long as you're hitting your weekly minimums." Those minimums are "at least 3 conditioning sessions a week, 2 of which have to be HIC."

Fighter + Black Pro + 1 extra day of E would be exactly what you are describing, no? 2 MS, 2 HIC, 2 E. (And then +2 SE finishers somewhere during the week.) IMO, this is recipe for attempting too much, and your session quality will probably stagnate across the different "domains." I feel confident that would happen to me. But everyone is different; maybe it would work for you.

Balance is not achieved weekly (2 MS, 2 HIC, 2 E). It is achieved across blocks and over months and years. The beauty and efficacy of TB lie in prioritizing some domains while maintaining others - and rebalancing periodically so no domain is left behind. Everything improves over time, but the most important domains progress faster and further.

If I were you, I would alternate between blocks of "Green - Standard Template" and "Operator + Black Pro" (as written, no additional E). Bike for all E sessions. Run for all HIC sessions. This would result in a continuous wave of weekly E (bike) sessions - first 4, then 3, then 2, then 1 sessions per week as MS, SE, and HIC move up and down in priority.
"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

C.B. wrote:Just finished BB. I am trying to decide which template to use: green or black.

Thanks.
Adski above has the right idea. You could easily do an SE finisher after your MS.
I am running more of a green protocol these days, but do 2 bjj sessions a week also which would be closer to HIC. You just need to realise you can’t improve everything dramatically all at once. In the end you need to make your training work for your life.

VenomousCoffee

Post by VenomousCoffee »

I'd agree with Close. Somewhere in the books it talks about alternating between Black and Green each block (or even Base Building, Black, and Green). Don't remember where, though.